Bought a Yaqin MC10T valve amp

Anyone have any feedback on new tubes they've tried with this since its now a bit down the track? I'm thinking about getting some Raytheon 5755 Black Plates with 12AX7 socket adaptors. These are meant to be lower gain like the 5751's and have that same beautiful sound I found with the Raython 12AX7 Black Plates...... They're really quite cheap online too

Anyone have any feedback on new tubes they've tried with this since its now a bit down the track? I'm thinking about getting some Raytheon 5755 Black Plates with 12AX7 socket adaptors. These are meant to be lower gain like the 5751's and have that same beautiful sound I found with the Raython 12AX7 Black Plates...... They're really quite cheap online too
You CANNOT randomly change tube type without changing circuit around it. Circuit designer assumed specific tube model, use it and nothing else for best results.

It looks as though everyone with a MC10T, designed to use 12AT7, is trying to convert their amps to a MC13S that uses a 12AX7 in the front end (V1 and V4) with a 12AU7 as the splitters V2 and V3.The circuitry between them is very similar but the following changes should be noted.
1. The 510 Ohm cathode resistor connected between the 47 Ohm resistor and pin 8 of V1 is now changed to 2k Ohms and there is a 470uF 25V electrolytic across it, + Terminal to pin 8.
2. The same changes also apply to V4 but though the 13S schematic states the right channel is the same as the left, I suspect Yaqin have done their usual twist and in fact the 510 Ohm resistor will be found between a 47 Ohm and Pin 3 of V4.
3. The 1k resistor that sits between Pin 2 and Pin 3 of V1, is raised to 2k Ohms.
4. Likewise for V4 though I suspect the 1k will be between Pins 7 and 8.
5. The 100pF feedback capacitor is raised to 330pF, this may account for the suppression of high frequency instability that has been noticed in the 10L and 10T amplifiers. This capacitor is in parallel with a 5k1 resistor (unchanged) and their locations (on both channels) can be traced from the center point where the new 2k resistor joins to the 47 Ohm resistor.

Nope, mine says 12AX7 on V1 & 4, and shipped with them in the first place. V2 & 3 are 12AU7's. Seems to vary depending on the generation.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but 5755 appears to be much the same as 5751 except for the pinouts. 5755 to 12AX7 adapters are readily available.

Last edited:
You have one of the later ones, so all the changes should be made. I think Yaqin's flirt with the 12AT7 was not a good one.

Been reading this thread and curious if these tube choices might be worth trying in a Yaqin 30L or not. One reason for my question is the 30L has 8 pre-amp tubes and 4 El-34/6CA7 which would add up to some serious money to try a few sets of what has been discussed here. Some of course in the pre-amp tubes vary in price it just boils down to what would be a solid choice instead of going through rolling several sets.

Thanks I have another thread started specifically on the MC-30L found here:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=8598170&posted=1#post8598170

I am asking here as this thread has covered a lot of what I am looking to find out, as it pertains to the 10 but might apply to the 30L too.

Thanks
Hermit

I'll let you know how the Raytheon 5755 BP's sound.

So far the very best I've tried were Raytheon 12AX7 BP's in v1 & 4, Raytheon 6414 BP's in v2 & 3 and current production JJ 6CA7's in the power stage.

Problem with that config is that Raytheon 12AX7 BP's just cost too much.

Westinghouse 12BZ7 BP's in v1 & 4, with Psvane 12AU7 Treasure II's in v3 & v4 and JJ 6CA7 's for the power tubes are the best sounding, easily replaceable combination I've found so far. Though I'm hoping the combination of Raytheon 5755 BP's on socket adapters will sound as good as Raytheon 12AX7 BP's.

I'll let you know once everything arrives from overseas.

Similarly Soviet era 6P3S-E’s sound very nice and detailed though seem to lack something the Raytheon 12AX7 BP's provide. On the upside, they cost only about $3 per tube. The socket adapters cost more

The 6414 is very different in many ways to the 12AT7.

The following is explained on the BH forum.

The 6414 has 2/3 the mu and 2/3 the plate resistance, takes 50% more heater current, is rated for no more than 2/3 the maximum voltage and 2/3 the maximum plate dissipation"

I think i have posted this here before.

The internet is like groundhog day the movie, sometimes ;)

Last edited:
Ok, got my 5755 adapters in + Raytheon 5755 Black Plates. I'm back in heaven again! These things + the Treasure II's are better than the Raytheon 12AX7 Black Plate + 6414 Black Plate combo I previously had, bettering the Westinghouse 12BZ7 Black Plates. Definitely found the perfect inexpensive valve combination. The other advantage is all valves with the exception of the cheap 5755's are in current production!

Swapped in my 6414's, interestingly not a good match with the 5755's.

The best combo now appears to be Raytheon 5755's in v1 & v4, Psvane Treasure II 12AU7's in v2 & v3 and JJ 6CA7's in the power stage. Spectacular results.

For reference, the stock valves in my version of the MC10T are Shugang 12AX7, 12AU7 and EL34's. The result with the stock valves is very very nice, though some tube rolling has definitely brought some very nice improvements.

You have one of the later ones, so all the changes should be made. I think Yaqin's flirt with the 12AT7 was not a good one.

Not sure why they bothered with 12A7. Everything I've read suggests they're a n noisier tube than 12AX7. NOS tubes are cheaper than 12AX7 though I guess.

Been reading this thread and curious if these tube choices might be worth trying in a Yaqin 30L or not. One reason for my question is the 30L has 8 pre-amp tubes and 4 El-34/6CA7 which would add up to some serious money to try a few sets of what has been discussed here. Some of course in the pre-amp tubes vary in price it just boils down to what would be a solid choice instead of going through rolling several sets.

Thanks I have another thread started specifically on the MC-30L found here:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=8598170&posted=1#post8598170

I am asking here as this thread has covered a lot of what I am looking to find out, as it pertains to the 10 but might apply to the 30L too.

Thanks
Hermit

Hmmmm, I don't know if the same valve combo's would work really. It's a different circuit. My understanding is that Yaqin haven't really redesigned anything, they've simply used old circuit designs. Sound great to me though. Likewise, speaker choice tends to affect which valves sound good to you as well. I changed from Sony SS-FL6000 speakers to my current B&W DM-16's since I first started trying valve combo's so I could probably roll through some of the valves I'd already tried.

The Sony SS-FL6000's were much more modern sounding with amzing imaging though I found myself listening to the detail rather than just enjoying the music. My current B&W's are much more organic and allow me to enjoy the music far more.

The the 30L uses 6J1's doesn't it? I think you'd need a completely different combination in that. Having said that, I think you find a power valve you like, and then find drivers that compliment that valve. That been the approach I've used that works for me. With power valves I think sticking with current production is a good choice as those are the valves that will wear out fastest, and NOS commands silly prices. I've been tempted to get Siemens NOS valves though I can't honestly imagine audio improving any further from where my system currently is.

The 6414 is very different in many ways to the 12AT7.

The following is explained on the BH forum.

The 6414 has 2/3 the mu and 2/3 the plate resistance, takes 50% more heater current, is rated for no more than 2/3 the maximum voltage and 2/3 the maximum plate dissipation"

I think i have posted this here before.

The internet is like groundhog day the movie, sometimes ;)

Yes I know, though the right tone and sound quality sort of overrode those considerations for me. Irrelevant now. I've a noticeably better sounding combination with the Raytheon 5755 BP's, Treasure II 12AU7's and JJ 6CA7's. I won't be returning to them. ;)

Last edited:
Ok, to revive my very old thread. I've replaced the coupling caps in my MC10T with Mundorf Tin Foils. The system is sounding pretty wonderful right now. I don't think I need to roll tubes. This change seems to make as much of a difference as rolling tubes did in the first place. It's huge.

Seems like I have a lot more detail coming through. Sound is smooth and has a liquidity that I associate with my SUT. I now enjoy my digital audio nearly as much as my vinyls, as its now has many of the qualities I associate with vinyl. Go figure. Having said that, there are LP's I've never enjoyed the sound of before which now sound great.
wink.png

I've more apparent volume and clarity. I just have to keep the volume set lower than in the past otherwise it seems too loud and is just too much for me. This was a big performance upgrade. I've regained the sense of space and air which I lost when I moved on from the stock Shugang tubes to others so I know have the tone and detail improvements of better tubes as well
smile.png

I can't help but wonder how it will improve after burn in.I've ordered 2 more of the same caps, though just 0.22 uF for the input caps. The difference is literally as great as when I replaced the stick tubes. Huge. So many wow moments with this system.

I've been using the amp with movies to help burn this in and have noticed that the mid scoop of the 6CA7 power tubes is now much more apparent although only with voices in TV or movies. Sounds great for music. I'm wondering whether I should move back to EL34 or 6P3S-E coin base tubes. When I was last seriously rolling tubes about 2 years ago from memory the matched quad of new production Svetlana EL34's was by far and away the sweetest sounding. In all fairness though, I never gave the 6P3S-E's time to break in. Music hasn't sounded so good since my memory of music back when I was a teenager.
biggrin.png

Hallo mjw21a,

Thanks for all your input on this amplifier. I just ordered my first tube amp - the MC10T and while it's still on its way, I'm already planning on modifying it.

I'm still very green regarding tubes but have followed several threads in forums to learn a little more.

Could you give some more information regarding the coupling caps that you replaced - regarding the specific model.
Did you exchange the two 0.22uF 275v and the two 0.1uF 400v ones ? or less/more ?

Did you or maybe someone else here on the forum replace the volume potentiometer with Japanese Tocos Cosmos carbon track pots and can recommend it ? (here is a link to someone that did this https://www.productreview.com.au/p/yaqin-mc-10t.html)

What do you think about the replacement of the volume potentiometer and could somebody recommend a specific model that would fit and that would gain more sound quality compared to the original that comes with the amp ?

So - the new amp comes with EL34B and the 12AX7B. Does anybody have any opinion on these ?

Are the 6414 Black Plate direct compatible with this amp instead of the 12AX7B ? or does it need a mod or an adapter ?

Someone wrote : In my Yaqin MC10T amp, 6414's are good in place of 12AT7's, though sound terrible in place the the 12AX7's.
Any comment regarding that ? and would I just replace only two of these the 12AT7 / 12AX7 or all four of them to 6414 ?

In this youtube video (
) several tubes are compared. At 4:00 KT88 tubes are playing - which sound good to me. Are the KT88 compatible with the MC10T ?

Thanks for all suggestions.
Julian

Suggestion,
Take a step back.
Listen stock , at least a few dozen hours.
If you want to do stuff , fine.
I'm not familiar with that piece but generally,
Caps make very subtle difference.
I didn't look at what comes with that but a 12AX7 and a 12at7 aren't straight swaps ( they are pin compatible)
I've heard pretty good things about yaqin. If you're not happy with the sound though, you're likely better off going to something different rather than attempt to make it something different. My

Back
Top Bottom