Bought an Onkyo M-510, but...

Well I do consider myself really lucky to have come across one at the right time.
I've had the 588, which color is yours? I had the gold with the full size persimmon sideburns, similar to what the 510 has.

Well, unfortunately I live in Europe (Denmark), so my 588 is black - with black plastic side pieces. The only alternative here, was a silver version, also with black plastic sides. Only in Japan and North American is the cool champagne color version, with real wooden sides.

Here's pics of the three versions. First, the really beautiful version you had:

integram-588.JPG

Then the silver German version:

M-588.jpg

And last - my (boring) version:

M-588F.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
I had 2 of the 588's, one was the F version which looked like yours. A very slick look.

I see that you have a cool pair of Scepter 5001 also. How are they? I myself has a pair of Dynaudio Contour S1.4 at the moment. The dream speaker is a pair of Contour S5.4 - unless the new Contours are phenomenal.

Btw - I'm an old ONKYO enthusiast. Was collecting all the material I could get my hands on, back in the 80's and 90's, until ONKYO decided to lower the quality, in the late 90's/early 00's. I've owned a fair share of ONKYO products over the years, and has recently refound my enthusiasm. As I've regretted for 10 years, that I sold my M-508, I HAD to own a ONKYO poweramp again. I found this M-588 in mint condition, and had to have it. Would like to come across a P-388 at some point in time. At the moment it's controlled by my Yamaha Surr-receiver.

Recently I sold my old ONKYO CP-1057 turntable, which I hadn't used in years. Instead I bought a 1980 ONKYO CP1280, in really fine condition. I've also found a cheap integrated, a 1979 ONKYO A-10. And as my very first ONKYO product, was an integrated amp, bought in the mid 80's, an A-8057, I just had to have one again. Could find a 8057 at a reasonable price, so I bought an A-8067 instead. Now I'm just waiting to come across a mint receiver from the late 70's - an TX-6500mkII.

Cheers!

The Scepter speakers are hard to describe, I've had many speakers, but none like this. They are faithful to whatever is fed to them, but aren't bland or boring in any way. The music seems to come from one large source, not 3 drivers. They'll be hard to top, if I ever bother to.
Funny you mention the P-388f, I had one to run the 588. It's not as good as it looks, the amp is the winner.

Funny, here in Europe the P-388 has a reputation for being really good - way better than the P-308 - especially the RIAA...

Cheers!

Perhaps the phono stage is better, I used it primarily as a line stage, where it came across as rather flat and uninteresting. Not very dynamic, almost as if all of the music had a slight twinge of grey to the edges. I thought maybe it was me, after all it had sounded pretty great at first, but a buddy in California had the same impression over time. The momentary excitement at the beginning was more that is was different from most other pre's we had tried, our minds made the quick judgement it was good. But with more use, well we realized we'd improperly generalized at first.
A good of the era preamp is the Sony TA-E90.

You're a lucky bastard Ds2000!! And that Denon suits the 510 very well....

I used to own a M-508, and now has a M-588. And I have been drooling over the M-510, since it came onto the market, in the late 80's...

M.v.h.
I've heard it said that the M-588 bests the M-510 in terms of sound quality.

I've had both, twice. I prefer the 510 across the board, but both I had were given a service bulletin upgrade of newer, higher temp and grade small caps and higher current pass thru 4 pole relays (6).

Still waiting on 2 transistors, but soon, soon. I'll use them often when they come back, compare them to the Onkyo.

Found this, from a catalog when it was new.
IMG_4256.JPG
It's easy to get caught up on the looks and size, but Onkyo received patents on the "Real Phase" transformer and its use, as well as their "Linear Switching", called Linear AB operation, which dealt with any switching distortion most effectively.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom