Bowers & Wilkins 685 S2

Discussion in 'British Audio' started by Art K., Dec 6, 2014.

1. Art K.

Art K. The Voodoo You Do! Subscriber

I put them in her craft room/office and she quickly sent her Quads packin'!

2. didge70

didge70 New Member

In what way are the B&W 685 S2's better than the Quads 11L Classic in your opinion?

3. Art K.

I'm not sure they are. They are just different. They shed a bit brighter light on the detail that most interests my wife. The Quads are considerably more laid back and quietly detailed. Please read John Darko's review of the Quad 11L Classic. It is spot on.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2011/05/quad-11l-classic-standmount-loudspeakers/

4. didge70

didge70 New Member

Thank you. I have read that review and I have had those Quad 11L Classic for 2 years now and still like them. They're in my partner's office now. The B&Ws are a bit more expensive, that's why I was wondering if they were better. Now I know. I've only heard the new B&W CM6 S2, which are in another league.

5. TimF

TimF Well-Known Member

didge, how did you find the CM6 S2's? I had a brief listen to them not long ago and was fairly pleased with them, as usually the CM series didn't really do much for me. Curious what equipment you might have listened to them on?

6. Art K.

Actually the 685 S2 retails for $699 and the Quads $749. When we bought them they were on a special.

7. didge70

didge70 New Member

Ok. I was talking about European prices, where I paid 450 Euros for the Quads in High Gloss and the 685 S2 are 650 Euros here.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  8. didge70

didge70 New Member

I liked them a lot. They're easy to listen to, nice tweeter, not too bright, excellent midrange and good bass for their size. They had a very wide soundstage, I thought. I listened to them on a Rotel RA-1570 and a Marantz PM-6004 (shop's choice). I wouldn't go with either of those amplifiers but I liked it best with the Rotel.

9. TimF

TimF Well-Known Member

Thanks didge, the dealer I listened to them briefly also had a Rotel setup which I cannot recall the models at the moment, and we also listened to them on the end of a Naim XS-2/CD-5. I enjoyed them but would like to spend a bit more time with them for fun.

10. newworld

newworld Active Member

Art, are the B&W's easy to drive? I'm thinking of getting a set, but have doubts about playing big orchestral music through them. Also, do their brightness lend itself to fatigue at all? I'm very familiar with the Harbeth's, so it would be helpful to know in comparison.

11. Art K.

They have been in y wife's office for the last couple of months. She is driving them with an NAD D 3020. They are easy to drive.

12. for_p1

for_p1 Addicted Member

I believe CDM-1 model is more similar to CM-5 or even CM-6 than 685.

13. Art K.

As far as place in the lineup that may be so however for performance I'm not sure. It would be interesting to find out by listening.

14. redsoul

redsoul New Member

Today i got a tour around some shop, looking for 685 s2. Some sales said that Yamaha as500 don't get enough power to fit with 685, can't show all the ability of 685, is it right ?

I've as500 with wharfedale 10.1, should i replace by 685 s2. Cause i can't find a store to trial-listen 685 around here.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  15. Art K.

Welcome to AK. I'm not real fond of Yamaha amps, maybe the sales staff isn't either. Who knows. As to power, the Yamaha has plenty to enjoy the 685's. The 685 S2 is easier to drive than your Wharfedales. I know, I have them both. If you believe that the Yamaha is sufficient for the 10.1's then it should do quite nicely for the B&W's.

16. redsoul

redsoul New Member

Thanks a lot for your promptly help. Im a newbie in this.

By the way. I have a question, in amplifier, i see an adjustment of loudness with value in range of Flat - -30db. I don't know what is it for ? If adjust to - 30db, could it harm speaker ?

17. Guest114

Guest114 Active Member

From the owners manual:

Adjusting the LOUDNESS control
    Retain a full tonal range at any volume level, thus compensating for the human ears loss of sensitivity to high and low-frequency ranges at low volume.

If the PURE DIRECT switch is turned on with the LOUDNESS control set at a certain level, the input signals bypass the LOUDNESS control, resulting in a sudden increase in the sound output level. To prevent your ears or the speakers from being damaged, be sure to press PURE DIRECT switch AFTER lowering the sound output level or AFTER checking that the LOUDNESS control is properly set.

1 Set the LOUDNESS control to the FLAT position.

2 Rotate the VOLUME control on the front panel (or press VOLUME +/– buttons on the remote control) to set the sound output level
    to the loudest listening level that you would listen to.

3 Rotate the LOUDNESS control until the desired volume is obtained.

After setting the LOUDNESS control, enjoy listening to music at your preferred volume level. If the effect of the LOUDNESS control setting is too strong or weak, readjust the LOUDNESS control

18. redsoul

redsoul New Member

Thanks u :)

19. Nickt1

Nickt1 New Member

I recently bought the 685 S2 and have been very impressed with the sound quality.
    Some reviews claim they are forward and bright sounding-I don't find this the case.
    I feel they are a revealing speaker with a smooth and uncoloured sound lacking in any "boxy resonance".
    Being front ported also makes them flexible regarding placement-I have mine on wall brackets.
    Yes there are probably better speakers but these are currently being run out at US $500 which makes them an absolute bargain and a definite best buy.
    I am running them with a 100w Rotel power amp and while perfectly adequate I feel they would benefit from better amplification.

TedNeu likes this.
  20. TedNeu

TedNeu AK Subscriber Subscriber

I own the 685 S1s. Bought a used pair last year for a bit over $400. I can say that I don't find these bright at all. If anything I find the bass sort of" boomy". I suspect that this has to do with my amplifier pairing. I have an old NAD 3150 50wpc amp that I bought here on AK. At times the pairing is elegant, but I like a sharp, distinct bass in most music. Will be experiment to find the best combo. Not sure if wiring matters much for this.