Bowers & Wilkins Rock Solid Speakers

I got a pretty good deal on a pair of these speakers last night. I only paid $10 for a good set of speakers. They don't seem to be very popular overall and I am having trouble finding very many opinions about them. I know, I know.. I enjoy them so that should be all that matters but I would like to know what they are good for listening to, what they aren't and what should I look for. They seem to be clear from what little I was able to listen to them. Both woofers and tweeters are good, and the boxes are fairly scratched up. I was thinking about using a matte black spray paint to resurface them and wanted some opinions on that. I did find the spec sheet on them online too. I can post them below and will put up pictures once I get off work today.

Enclosure Type: Vented bass enclosure with fourth order alignment
Frequency Range: 75 Hz to 20 kHz +/- 3 dB
Sensitivity: 90 dB for 2.83 volts (1 watt into 8 ohms)
Impedance: Nominal 8 ohms
Power handling: Suitable for amplifiers of up to 150 watts into 8 ohms

I found lots of hits for them on Google. I remember them being fairly popular in the late 90s. No personal experience, but almost everything from B&W is at least pretty good.

I found lots of hits for them on Google. I remember them being fairly popular in the late 90s. No personal experience, but almost everything from B&W is at least pretty good.
There just doesn't seem to be many opinions on them from what I can find. All I can find are good things about them and I highly doubt that everyone likes everything about them.

I've always wanted a pair, but knowing how old they are, the prices asked were always more than I wanted to pay. I have a couple of pairs of B&W LM1s which I think sound good and have a great wall/ceiling mountable base.

I would have never guessed they were from the 90's.. I thought at first they were going to be some cheap knockoff brand but once I picked them up I realized they were well built and a legit brand. I didn't put much thought into the weight, after all it wouldn't have been the first time I bought a pair of speakers with rocks glued in them. I might be open to selling them to you depending on the price. I bought them to sell but once I started listening I am conflicted as to what to do with them.

I'm going to change my surround speakers from B&W 686 to either B&W LM1 or B&W Rock Solid due to configuration issues. I'll be buying them without a chance to personally audition. I keep hearing the Rock Solids are an amazing little speaker. I've not heard much about the LM1's. Does anyone have personal experience with both speakers?B&W Rock Solid.jpg B&W-LM1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom