Box O' tweets

THOR

Fearless Prophet
A week or so ago Thatch asked for my address and I gave it to him and asked "why you need it"? Well he never answered me. Today I come home and there is a box waiting for me from Thatch, in it are 3 sets of tweets and one set are Emit ribbon tweeters. Now I believe these have something to do with my Keg Speakers project but I am not really sure what Thatch intended by sending them to me, I don't know if they are a gift, or for me to try different ones in the kegs and buy the ones that are best from him and return the rest, I have no idea. But I do want to say it is a pretty awesome community we have here where a person who has only met someone thru posts in a forum is trusting enough to just send stuff to another member with no explanation knowing the other person will do the right thing. Others have said there is some audio uppityness going on at AK I think that examples like Thatch's has shown that this is not true and that we are all friends sharing our love of music and audio equipment and even TV's and such.

Oh I forgot to mention that it also cost Thatch almost $13 to send them to me.

Touch of class Thatch ... ;)

And good on you Thor for acknowledging - you're dead right with what you have said.

I have just bought Jack's (car67) AU-7900 from him at what it costs him + shipping. With a right of return if I'm not completely satisfied. What a guy!

:) :)

Far out!
Gotta say I've had fun pokin' my nose in on yer Kegger experimentals! I know I would never ever have thought of making a speaker system in a keg! :D

Let's get crackin', now!

pete, thinkin' whatta neat thing to do Thatch!

Thor,
You have know about Emits.
The ones with the kidney shaped baffles were made for the Athena line built by Mirage a couple of years ago. They are a bit bright for my tastes.
The round ones I can't give you much info on though one of the other guys maybe can. Those came out of a pair of 2 way ESS speakers. ESS made stats, then Heil designed the AMTs and my guess is that these were a lower end speaker with those domes. I never even tried them out so you get to be the evaluator.
You can test these tweets just by propping them up on something when you listen. The ESS are 8 oms the both the other 4 ohm so you will need two pairs of capasitors for high passes. Double check the specs on those woofers I think they roll off at 4K so build your high pass for 3.9Khz.
Both Rob and I posted crossover calculation links.
Have fun and keep us posted.
Thatch

I also can vouch for Thatch's generosity. He offered to send me a Phase Linear pre and auto correlation unit for something in return down the road. Well he's getting my Sansui 8080 and was concerned about ME paying the shipping charges as I just had another baby. Here's a big hearted thanks Thatch for the PL gear and I hope you enjoy the Sansui. BTW Thatch if you read this PM me your address so I can get the Sansui off to ya.

Mike

Well I will be getting the other Keg, cutting holes then damping them, then we can talk about the crossover thing, all those numbers confuse me :confused: and I have no clue how to build a crossover, looks like a bunch O' wrapped up wires to me ;) So you guys will have to walk me through that when we get to that point.

One thing, those Emit tweeters look cool, if they are the best ones can't we just mount them on the outside like on a traditional speaker like the keg was flat and then fill in the gaps with like a black PVC caulk or sumthin similar?

Mike,
The box that the Phase Linear is in is custom made for the Sansui, so wait till you get the toys I sent get there.

Originally posted by THOR

One thing, those Emit tweeters look cool, if they are the best ones can't we just mount them on the outside like on a traditional speaker like the keg was flat and then fill in the gaps with like a black PVC caulk or sumthin similar?

Hey you never answered this question thatchy.

Are the kegs flat Thorny?
Yes you could glue them on but 1st get the woofers, deaden and damp, then test all the tweets and cut or glue accordingly. The crossovers will be very simple, just caps, so don't worry about that right now.

I just went down and placed the emit against the Keg and there is only about a little more than a 1/8 " gap where the keg curves, actually all the tweets left a very small gap on the sides.

That is great news, now you will only have to drill for the wiring and can have the caps inside the kegs.
Did you ever get to Home Depot and look for the sound proofing material I told you about?
Because of the nature of the beast you are going to have to use something to isolate the keg walls to get a good sound. I just can't see that dampening will do it. One of the 4'x8' sheets ought to do both and its only $20.

Back
Top Bottom