Box Sets worth getting..

I'm not a big box set guy, but of all I own, I like this 4 CD compilation the best. But I love Rod and the Faces...:thumbsup:

From Amazon...

"From 1969 to 1975 the Faces - Rod Stewart, Ian McLagan, Ron Wood, Ronnie Lane, and Kenney Jones - played their loose and joyful blues and soul-inflected rock 'n' roll with reckless abandon, consummate skill, and immeasurable charm. For those few years they were arguably the greatest band on the planet, and their influence has resonated ever since through the music of countless acts, from the Sex Pistols to The Replacements to The Black Crowes, and on and on. After the Faces dissolved in 1975, Stewart went on to solo superstardom, Wood to the Stones, Jones to The Who, McLagan to world - class session work and his own recordings, and Lane to acclaimed solo projects before he succumbed to multiple sclerosis in 1997. Greater than the sum of its parts, the Faces made now - immortal music for which there will never, ever be a last call."

"It's a very good selection of music that wears remarkably well"

719SC0iEu6L._SY355_.jpg

I'm not a big box set guy, but of all I own, I like this 4 CD compilation the best. But I love Rod and the Faces...:thumbsup:

From Amazon...

"From 1969 to 1975 the Faces - Rod Stewart, Ian McLagan, Ron Wood, Ronnie Lane, and Kenney Jones - played their loose and joyful blues and soul-inflected rock 'n' roll with reckless abandon, consummate skill, and immeasurable charm. For those few years they were arguably the greatest band on the planet, and their influence has resonated ever since through the music of countless acts, from the Sex Pistols to The Replacements to The Black Crowes, and on and on. After the Faces dissolved in 1975, Stewart went on to solo superstardom, Wood to the Stones, Jones to The Who, McLagan to world - class session work and his own recordings, and Lane to acclaimed solo projects before he succumbed to multiple sclerosis in 1997. Greater than the sum of its parts, the Faces made now - immortal music for which there will never, ever be a last call."

719SC0iEu6L._SY355_.jpg
I have this, and yes, it's very good. Each disc is a stand-alone, great sequencing. One for the Faces fans out there.

From Amazon...

719SC0iEu6L._SY355_.jpg
I got this one earlier this year and it's freakin' awesome.

View attachment 1026622 View attachment 1026623

I have quite a few box sets but this Derek And The Dominos is special. Of course the Layla Sessions album is outstanding, the extra disc (The Jams & Alternate Masters, Jams And Outtakes) are just as good IMHO. Nice book too. Only available on the 20th anniversary edition.

I recently picked this box set up as well. Really enjoyed the Jam track with the ABB!

If you guys are all into vinyl, perhaps this doesn't belong here... Have you seen all those sets of CDs that contain between 6 and 14 albums of a particular artist? I've bought several of them, and have been pleased with them, but, these sets are often only 9-15 dollars. How can the set manufacturer, afford to sell these for such low prices, let alone getting the rights to sell them all together?

Anyway, I'm looking at a Bill Evans 12 album set for 15 dollars, right now :).

The Newvelle Records box sets are the finest collections of new jazz you’re going to find. They’re expensive as heck, but very special (they are LP only, with no digital release).

If you guys are all into vinyl, perhaps this doesn't belong here... Have you seen all those sets of CDs that contain between 6 and 14 albums of a particular artist? I've bought several of them, and have been pleased with them, but, these sets are often only 9-15 dollars. How can the set manufacturer, afford to sell these for such low prices, let alone getting the rights to sell them all together?

Anyway, I'm looking at a Bill Evans 12 album set for 15 dollars, right now :).
Most likely you bought some Euro grey market stuff. Their copyright laws are a little, um, loose. I think they made have made some changes(don't quote me), but a lot of stuff became public domain after 50 years.
Sound quality can be a mixed bag on those. They just grab whatever source they can find. Including MP3 for some tracks.

I've been listening to the Complete Bill Evans on Verve box. Great set.

Also listen to the Clash on Broadway box a lot.

Most likely you bought some Euro grey market stuff. Their copyright laws are a little, um, loose. I think they made have made some changes(don't quote me), but a lot of stuff became public domain after 50 years.
Sound quality can be a mixed bag on those. They just grab whatever source they can find. Including MP3 for some tracks.

Yup, they don't need to or bother with paying for rights. I have picked up Blossom Dearie and Ben Webster sets, both were great and very inexpensive.

The Duwop collection. You would be surprised how good some of that old, buried stuff is. I'm an 80's child, but some tracks are my all time faves.

4df78856-fc0c-40a9-b525-b378a05086bd_1.db526baf3e783127798ad2e8ca7d29db.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom