Boxing

canton

All right could have some nice fights coming up this weekend. Got Fights on ESPN tonight and fights on ESPN 2 on Sat night. AND got fight on the PLUS Sat Afternoon from Northern Ireland. Conlan fighting at home. Joe Smith Jr. is finally back in the ring after that nasty broken Jaw. not televised tho. Not here.
So any boxing fans out there. Or did I just waste some ink?
Canton

I record boxing every time it's on. With the recent promotions I've noticed the judging has been more fair, which raises my interest. Teddy Atlas was a strong supporter of one governing body for decades, but money won't let that happen. For those that haven't watched boxing in ages there are some super exciting folks to watch (Lomachencko, Spence, Crawford), of course I'm waiting for the U.S. to produce a good heavyweight (not convinced on Wilder).

Along the weight class lines I have always been more involved in the lighter weight classes. Hell the super fly wghts that they put on were great. Catchy Name too. Superflys. But really 118 122 126 all the way up and into middle. Teddy got robbed of his place sitting ring side never should have happened I watched him during the Tuesday Night Fight era with Bob Papa man I forget the call leters of the channel right now. Was a great series got to see him in Baltimore for some fights that were done a block from my house in lower east side. I enjoy a good fight no matter what. Keep it clean keep the ref out of it. Stay away from the CARDS if at all possible. Not as easy to score a fight as some may think. Watch it on TV then go live two dif worlds. Just the nature of the sport of boxing. OK that was a long ramble. Let me know what you think of the fights come monday morning that will be when I am finished watching them all. Some good matches coming up next 72 hours. EHH heavywgghts I don't know anymore too much hype not enough fight. Just me.
Canton

The 1st Sugar Ray vs Tommy Hearns fight was one of the best matches I've ever seen.
Sure miss those days but don't keep up with it anymore and don't know any of the new guys.

Well dos I am not a promoter but I have been around boxing for several years on/off at times yet this new class of fighters and how they are putting the fights out there is nice. How long it will last who knows but past few 2 years have been really good for boxing. Starting to get more mainstream. The new days rival the old days in a lot of ways. Just some dif formats is all.
Canton

I was obsessed with boxing, for 5 or 6 years, from the late '90s to the early 2000s. I went to a bunch of fights in Los Angeles and Las Vegas (including some classics), a few in Atlantic City, one at MSG, one in Connecticut, etc. I recorded every television broadcast, including the Spanish channels (I couldn't understand the commentary), onto VHS until I got a DVD recorder. At one point, I had about 600 VHS tapes, with roughly 6 hours of fights (SLP mode) on each tape and countless DVD-Rs. I eventually burned out, and haven't paid too much attention for the past dozen or so years. I had pretty much replaced my passion for music with boxing. I actually sold a big portion of my record collection to buy a 70" rear projection TV, to watch boxing on! Probably one of the dumber financial moves I've made.

Anyway, I am glad that I came back to music, as my #1 (I never totally gave it up, but there was a time that I would have chose boxing), though it would be nice to see some great fights again. I just don't know who anybody is anymore.

So I am all caught up on the boxing from the past weekend. Some very nice bouts over in Ireland really enjoyed the fighters esp the McKenna Caterall match. Just an excellent fight. And I have to say the difference in the announcers is so nice to listen to really allows you to watch the fight and not hear a bunch of clowns talking abut something they are reading from a script of paper. You know it is true. so a tip of the hat to those announcers over there much respect same for the Refs. So that was great, THEN a possible fight of the year canidate on ESPN Sat Night 6/30/18 mark it down. Alex Saucedo against Lenny Zappaavigna. What a war goes right up there with the Gatti Ward fights I watched a few years back. So year there were plenty of others but for now that should be enough to post up. Doubt if anyone will respond but so be it.
Sorry about that Carroll vs Geraghty was the best bout over in Ireland don't want to get hose guys angry. Great Great fight.
Canton

Last edited:
I was obsessed with boxing, for 5 or 6 years, from the late '90s to the early 2000s. I went to a bunch of fights in Los Angeles and Las Vegas (including some classics), a few in Atlantic City, one at MSG, one in Connecticut, etc. I recorded every television broadcast, including the Spanish channels (I couldn't understand the commentary), onto VHS until I got a DVD recorder. At one point, I had about 600 VHS tapes, with roughly 6 hours of fights (SLP mode) on each tape and countless DVD-Rs. I eventually burned out, and haven't paid too much attention for the past dozen or so years. I had pretty much replaced my passion for music with boxing. I actually sold a big portion of my record collection to buy a 70" rear projection TV, to watch boxing on! Probably one of the dumber financial moves I've made.

Anyway, I am glad that I came back to music, as my #1 (I never totally gave it up, but there was a time that I would have chose boxing), though it would be nice to see some great fights again. I just don't know who anybody is anymore.
Boxing and the Blues have always been able to live along side one another one don't knock the other off the radar for me room for both where I live.
Canton

Down goes Frazier, down goes Frazier, down goes Frazier!!!

View attachment 1228513
Honestly, I'm not wanting to jack your thread but I just can't think of boxing and not think of this.

Shoot I am just glad there are people that know that boxing still exists. Like I said I am not a promoter. All sports is not what it was. But I do agree that all other sports are just games. Boxing is not a game. Something like that, I got the message when that was spoken to me.
Canton

Copy of IMG_3176.JPG My son in law on my left does boxing and MMA promoting in the OKC area. I call him the "Don King" of the family.:rflmao:
I'm not too much up on MMA other than its too violent for my taste whereas good boxing has tact. Its more of an art where not getting hit is as important as hitting.

View attachment 1228601 My son in law on my left does boxing and MMA promoting in the OKC area. I call him the "Don King" of the family.:rflmao:
I'm not too much up on MMA other than its too violent for my taste whereas good boxing has tact. Its more of an art where not getting hit is as important as hitting.

Thanks for passing the personal info on much appreciated. Yes the "tact" you speak of is very important in boxing. That is what I have picked up on real strong in Ireland and London is how they fight, how they present the matches, All very solid styles can watch a guy with 20 fights and 5 KOs and still display great boxing ability and still have decent power and use it to his advantage if that makes good sense. This rest of post should be another post but I really enjoy how they announce a fight over there, I don't have some JackRabbit screaming about something he has on a pc of paper in front of himself acting like a clown while a real fight is happening. Why do we do that here? I am thinking of a guy on Showtime forget his name makes it hard to listen to the other two men who are good at there craft. So I put some nice blues on and watch the fight that way. could be me or maybe others get annoyed by it? Got fights on ESPN sat and BeIN on I think sat also have to check.
Canton.

Big fan, used to subscribe to KO magazine.

Best fight I've ever seen, the 10th round is considered one of the best in history. Watching this fight actually got my wife interested in boxing.

Two undefeated champions not taking a step back going toe to toe, they had three fights, all were great. Corrales died shortly after in a motorcycle accident.

Last edited:
Big fan, used to subscribe to KO magazine.

Best fight I've ever seen, the 10th round is considered one of the best in history. Watching this fight actually got my wife interested in boxing.

Two undefeated champions not taking a step back going toe to toe, they had three fights, all were great. Corrales died shortly after in a motorcycle accident.

I remember the fight very well. I remember when I fiirst saw Corrales get in the ring I was what"s the big deal with this guy. Then he started fighting.
Morales Barrea Manfreddy Gatti Ward LIttle Red Lopez Every time somebody replies to boxing as if there is only one weight class that being the Heavy weight I say no there has always been a lot going on in the lighter devisions. Going all the way back. The BIG Little Men of Boxing. Hey Bobby Chacon right?
This could go on all day.
Got fights tonight ESPN also got something on BeIN No habla espanol turn on the radio and watch it works out. Me I know enough to get by.
Canton

Not too long ago NBC Sports was broadcasting matches on Saturday night but stopped. Nearly all of the better bouts were in the lighter classes too.
I think you have to have fairly extraordinary heavyweights to make interesting bouts in that class and I just don't think there's very many of those these days.
I have a whole stack of old Ring magazines from back in the day and always pass on a few at a time to one of my grandsons now and then. He puts them in plastic and stashes them away.
Good kid!

Notice the size dif in those mags thru the years? I have a copy of this months rag and it is what 81 pages? Now right in front of me is one from March 2008 141 pgs. And many are 161 pages and they do not fill them with garbage ads or who is the best pound for pound. I still read it but it is a money grab at best. I guess as long as I know that I am not really getting ripped off. They used to send you free the Boxing Bible at the end of the year free? Little book like what 5X8 but a good review of the past year, not anymore don't ask for one they think you are lyin or on drugs when you ask about it.

Back
Top Bottom