Boy Scout Chickathon

The fair is part of life here. The midway comes in by train, then there is a parade from the old depot to the fairgrounds. The same midway then goes to the state fair. Its the second largest county fair in the country. 1 Million visitors each year.

I'm not one to judge. When I tried to pass the First Class cooking test, my dad said it was the worst thing he'd eaten on a campout. But I passed the test on a technicality and he signed off. At least that way he cooked on future outings. :)

Normal fare here:
https://chiavettascatering.com/

Boy Scouts garbage can chicken at the winter camp out!, Turkeys better!
I've got a grilling cookbook that has that turkey recipe in it.
My daughter joined Cub Scouts this year and I've thought about asking them if they would do it for one of the campouts. I've held back, though. I'd probably get roped into being the one to take care of it, lol.

I've got a grilling cookbook that has that turkey recipe in it.
My daughter joined Cub Scouts this year and I've thought about asking them if they would do it for one of the campouts. I've held back, though. I'd probably get roped into being the one to take care of it, lol.

Yeah, you would, but it could be fun. Cub Scouts to Webelos depends on the parents to a large degree for event management. Once they cross into scouts the youth start to manage and run all of the campouts, service events, etc.

Yeah, you would, but it could be fun. Cub Scouts to Webelos depends on the parents to a large degree for event management. Once they cross into scouts the youth start to manage and run all of the campouts, service events, etc.
Yeah.
We're new to it, so we're still figuring out how it goes. This group seems to have some solid people involved. My wife is a teacher, and besides our daughter there are three other kids in her/their class that are in the group. Two of them have moms that are leaders of the pack(?), and they're on top of things.
From what I can see, the older kids are solid. In fact, we're all going to one of the big Remembrance Day ceremonies this weekend, and they're cooking lunch for all of us after it's over.

Yeah.
We're new to it, so we're still figuring out how it goes. This group seems to have some solid people involved. My wife is a teacher, and besides our daughter there are three other kids in her/their class that are in the group. Two of them have moms that are leaders of the pack(?), and they're on top of things.
From what I can see, the older kids are solid. In fact, we're all going to one of the big Remembrance Day ceremonies this weekend, and they're cooking lunch for all of us after it's over.

Sounds like fun! I went through scouts with both of my sons and just started saying "yes" to any request and wound up learning a lot and having a great time. Personally, I'm in favor of making the program co-ed and am curious to see how it works out. As my boys got older we wound up doing two treks through Philmont and once from rim to rim at the Grand Canyon with co-ed crews. The girls out hiked the boys all three times!

Sounds like fun! I went through scouts with both of my sons and just started saying "yes" to any request and wound up learning a lot and having a great time. Personally, I'm in favor of making the program co-ed and am curious to see how it works out. As my boys got older we wound up doing two treks through Philmont and once from rim to rim at the Grand Canyon with co-ed crews. The girls out hiked the boys all three times!
I had no idea about the co-ed thing up until recently.
I grew up as a sports kid, mostly hockey, but got a pile of outdoor experience at a cabin my grandparents owned out in the middle nowhere just north of the Minnesota/Ontario border. The whole Beavers, Cubs, Scouts... thing was foreign to me until a few months ago.
I think it's been great for her. She's always been the type of kid to dig in the garden for worms and bugs, and loves outdoor experiences.

Back
Top Bottom