Boy these would be sweet to win!!

Thanks for the info on the Blue book.I would like to have one mainly to know when things were released and for how much. What is AU? Things are friendly here, I just put my foot in my mouth not realizing that the vintage gear was more tuned towards SS than HS. Everybody seems happy now. As for anything I wrote I don't think I was out of line but a few individuals would take one part of the whole and consentrate on that and get upset. All water under the bridge now. As a consumer with expensive tastes and a small budget vintage gear or DIY are my only options. I like to get out and listen to new stuff to see if there is any really new innovations going on. I sure can't afford it. All things aside I like the audio groups. Some are way to serious and some too technical and some deal with only new stuff I can't afford. But they are all interesting and people are usually helpful and some have gone out of their way to help me out. This group seems very nice though I haven't been in all the forums yet.

Tim and Dave, thanks for replying to my question about objective of site and framework for discussions. It was just getting a little confussing for me while navigating because most discussions seemed to be around vintage stuff even outside of the vintage message board area, so thanks for clearing that up. My post to this thread said nothing about going anywhere, I was just trying to understand where it was going.

Dave, I had the same question about what was AU until I got an email from one of the members here. It's Audio Utopia http://www.audioutopia.com

anyway, I am all about learning in life, so if I have the opportunity to share and learn here, then I think it's a wonderful opportunity and I will participate as long as both the membership and I continue to feel that way. For me this "hobby" is all about the journey and this is part of it for me. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to be a part of it here.

Tim, you have done a wonderful job with creating this site. Please keep up the good work :)

and Mike, tubes are by their very nature Mellow, so you SHOULD have a mellow crowd over there. Maybe I should go over and stir it up with a discussion about Hickok tube testers or something
(just kidding)

best regards to all -
:eek: angela:eek:

Personally, I try not to respond when threads start going in this direction. I ignore it and concentrate on the gear. But I just felt like throwing in my .02 cents this once as I hope that this forum does well and moves forward.

I was new to audio forums when I found AR. After being there a very short time I was about done with it all. It sucked! But then I found AU. Hidden away, lil AU. The strong vintage crowd there allowed me to settle in and just enjoy the hobby. It took me a bit to feel welcome but no one abused me either.

It's hard to say what my main focus is in this industry. I love vintage gear. I love new equipment. I love home theater. Dag nab it, I want it all! (laying on the floor pounding fists) :lmao:

I posted a reply to a thread that contradicted some of the floorstander speaker crowd here a while back. While they explained why I might be wrong and they right, I felt no ill will from them just good information. It was nice that they did not feel I was trying to be a trouble maker or start a flame war.

It's nice to see the new people coming here and Tim, Wardsweb all concerned are doing a great job to make this a fun place to be.
Dave, I hope you ain't "burnin out" as you say but if you are, take some time away. But hurry up ok!? All of your scores are so much fun to read!

I like what Angela said... "I am all about learning in life, so if I have the opportunity to share and learn here, then I think it's a wonderful opportunity and I will participate as long as both the membership and I continue to feel that way". Hit the nail on the head for me! :)

oh, there was a second page.
The Vandies closed for $493!! Shoot, I might've sniped and paid shipping for that price.
Who got 'em? Not an id I recognize.

This is the speakers forum. I'll admit most of my speakers are 'older,' but that doesn't mean I don't follow what's going on in the world.
New can be good. Same thing, I have no problem letting anyone listen to any of my setups. I can go with operating room clean sound, or raw and nasty sound. I mix and match my stuff now and then, even if the big system doesn't change.
Realistically, though, there isn't a huge diff between 600 wpc and 250 wpc at reasonable listening levels.
Like they said in the navy, "the smoking lamp is lit, smoke 'em if y'got 'em!"
Whatever y'all want to bring to the party's fine by me.

Hey

I have been so damned stressed out and on the rag lately I jumped the gun and shot my mouth off. If I pissed anyone off ...Sorry you will live.

Thor to a point you are right. I do have alot of stuff and I have been spending so much time working on it and selling it I fogot why I love it....With zero listening and "down" time I needed a break. Alittle sly and the family and temptations along with some more Motown stuff is helping me out tons. Over the past couple of days I have spent more listening time with the RTR and thats made me realize that I just need to slow down. Not that I dont love the hunts but I have been on one continuous hunt for the last year and thats to long. Yeah I did stop by a few sales in the last couple of days but I aint taking no where as serious as I have been. For the time being I am going to back off a bit but will still be around to shoot to chit with you guys and gals.

Dave

Hey, Grumpy, I'm curious 'bout the RTR's! I've only heard a few pairs of the original RTR's, and was always pretty impressed by them. Are y'startin' to think they're keepers?
Talk about a bummer, today was *supposed* to be my day off, but one of the guy's called me this morning ta say he's sick, so I've been in this morning for a while, and I'll be going back to cover the afternoon. Well, I hope I can get some back Monday, 'cause I'm on salary, no overtime for me! :eek:

pete

I think Grump was listenin' to a pair of RTR loudspeakers, Thor.
Reel-to-reel tape, well, depends on the size and the speed.
At 15 ips, a 10-in reel goes by pretty quickly. At 7-1/2 ips, y'all can get quite a bit of sound recorded.
Tape masters on the big pro machines typically went 30 ips, and that was QUALITY!

No the RTR speakers aren't his main listening speakers he recently acquired a minty Akai RTR and I think that is what he is meaning ;)

Back
Top Bottom