Bozak B-407 advice

nadaclue

Hello all,

I stumbled upon a gentleman selling 2 sets (i.e four cabinets) of Bozak B-407, which I believe were Concert Grands, though I may be mistaken. He said 3 work perfect, the other does nothing. I suspect a XO problem in the "dead" speaker. Also, one of the working speakers suffered a minor accident and needs some cabinet work done.

He's asking $500 for both pair, which seems like an ok price. I'd probably fix up a pair to sell and then sit on the others until I have a large enough room to appreciate them. Does this seem like an "intelligent" purchase?

Based on my recent bozak research I would say its a good deal. if I am wrong I am sure i will be corrected :)
Recent bozak 302a I was looking at went for 455 if thats any indication

The fact that the fourth one is completely dead makes me suspect that it might be something as simple as an incomplete connection from terminal to crossover -- while its possible to blow all the drivers in a speaker, where there are mulitple drivers to share the power, its seems unlikely -- I suppose a catastrophic amp failure would do it, but why only one speaker. If the speakers weren't be used with four mono amps, it seems like there should have been either more damage (to more than one speaker)or less (only some of the drivers in the fourth).
Can you move the woofer cones at all, and if some, without scraping? -- if so, I would be cautiously optimistic.

I haven't gotten to see them yet, and would potentially have to buy sight unseen. He was very knowledgable on vintage speakers though, and was telling me stories of some recent sales he had to do on some of his gear.

There was a pair of 410's that recently sold on epay for ~$1500, so that boosts my confidence on being able to recover most of my expenditure. Putting a pair in storage for future use kind of upsets me though.

Its probably crossed your mind that that these guys are not easy to ship if you sell them, and take up a lot of space if you store them. That doesn't argue against buying them, but it argues for being prepared. I once had the chance to buy a JBL Paragon Ranger. I was extreemly excited, and crushed when they were sold prior to their published sale date, but having seen how enormous it was, I was actually a bit relieved -- there was no way I could have gotten the thing into my house, and I hadn't lined up a storage space ahead of time -- it would have been a disaster (though eventually the pots of money these things are worth would probably have made it all worth it, but the short term would have been hell (and I hadn't even really cleared it with my wife, so make all the immediate problems in CAPITAL LETTERS!!!)).

Back
Top Bottom