Bozak Speaker Placement

RHCP4LIFE

So I have recently inherited some nice audio equipment.

A McIntosh MC2500, C-29.. Some AudioControl Processors and some massive Bozak CS-310B-CONT Speakers(24Dx36Wx48H.)

I have moved into a new place recently and trying to decide where to place the speakers.

The room is fairly large. About 30'X25'. It is divided into Living area and Kitchen/Dining. Im trying to decide where to put the large speakers. Should i put them directly in front of the "living area or should i spread them out over the whole room of living and kitchen/dinning.

I will be sitting in the living room the most. What do you think will give the best sound. I know the Bozak Concert Grands are supposed to be listened to at 20' away.

Here is a sketch of the area. The areas in the red are the available space for the speakers.
LivingSpace_zpsf1b096ce.png

Not familiar with that model Bozak, found nothing helpful on net. Generally the large vintage Bozaks are designed to sit at least 15 feet from in the middle. Cone tweeter models can be a bit directional so toe them in a bit.
Place the speakers about 6-8 feet apart and spend time listening. Move them apart until you start to hear two singers in the middle than start moving them back together. The sweet spot is there somewhere, it could take weeks, months or years to find the PERFECT sweet spot.
Congratulations on getting a nice set-up to start with.

The C-310B is an upright Concert Grand.

Inherited some nice audio gear, indeed!

I have only heard CG's in one system, but loved them. I would place them 3 or 4 feet out of corners, aimed so the tweeters cross about 3 feet in front of the listening position (provided it's a large room). Tweak from there.

Thanks guys

Here is a picture with one set up testing out the chanels again. Also will be the listening living room I plan to put a TV where the speaker is and place the speakers on each side for now.
9d1f490a4fa4c9e9b6a9d6b8629e0675.jpg

Overall room just getting moved in so everything is a mess
1bc565b9a25524486704c9945e773ebd.jpg

Do these have the aluminum tweeters in the line array, or the paper tweeter in the hemispherical array?

I believe they are in a linear array. If I feel the face of the speaker I can feel a long strip going up and down towards the top

Good. I don't think they developed that design until after the B200Y was introduced in 1961. The original hemispherical array supposedly does weird things to the soundstage when used in stereo pairs, no matter which version of the drivers are used.

Those are hellaciously good speakers, I'd love to hear a pair someday.

What if you placed the speakers on the wall to the right of their current location and rearrange your furniture to face them? It appears that you could spread them out more and at the same time enjoy them throughout the room. I simply can't imagine speakers of that size sounding their fullest with them so close to one another.

Ok so i have recently moved and unfortunately the speakers will not fit in the living room or any room in the house. Fortunately I bought a garage that came with a house...... Anyways they have to go in the garage as the basement is not worthy (mostly utility and laundry room). The garage is about 40'x30', insulated and heated. I plan on putting the Bozak Concert Grands on casters to be able to move them out of the way if need be, as well i need to create a amplifier rack as well on casters. My setup is a MC2500, C29, a couple processors mostly . I have a turntable but i feel like that should probably stay in the house as im not sure how dusty things will be. Which brings me to my next point. I want to create a rack/enclosure to create positive pressure and a filter, but while still having the faceplates exposed. I have been looking at some server racks but may end up creating something like mine.

I
deally the angle at the vertices of the tri-anle where you are seated should not be greater than 45 degrees unless you plan on turning the speakers toward the listening position. I listen to mine at 17 Ft with them spread about 12 ft apart line array to line array. A 2500 is way to much power for Grands. If you have Alnico woofer magnets very peaks should be not much more than 200 watts. Though I will admit I have done more using Crown DC-300 A's bi-amped with the woofers wired in parallel, 2 ohms. Amps were rated at 525 watts at 2 ohms below 400 hz. The Dc-300 for the mid/tweeter put out about 190 watts 8 ohms. Today I used Mac 207, tri amped. 360 watts, 2 ohms, 240 watts, 8 ohms 0hms. If you have ceramic magnets on all the drivers as long as the meters don't go over 250 and the power guard stays off you should be fine. My favorite amp for non bi amped Grands was the MC 3500 and they were a great match in that period of time. I would rather have bi-amped Grands with amps with out autoformers for the high damping factor to control the woofers. But as your amps have a respectable damping factor if you place the amps next to the speakers will help greatly nwith super short speaker cables. But that big coil in the woofer circuit makes the woofers kind of fuzzy, that's why most Symphony and Grand owners bi-amp. . Did you know if you take 2 Grands and place then side by side and run them in mono the bass will extend below 16 HZ like "Big Bertha" in a large room .

I
deally the angle at the vertices of the tri-anle where you are seated should not be greater than 45 degrees unless you plan on turning the speakers toward the listening position. I listen to mine at 17 Ft with them spread about 12 ft apart line array to line array. A 2500 is way to much power for Grands. If you have Alnico woofer magnets very peaks should be not much more than 200 watts. Though I will admit I have done more using Crown DC-300 A's bi-amped with the woofers wired in parallel, 2 ohms. Amps were rated at 525 watts at 2 ohms below 400 hz. The Dc-300 for the mid/tweeter put out about 190 watts 8 ohms. Today I used Mac 207, tri amped. 360 watts, 2 ohms, 240 watts, 8 ohms 0hms. If you have ceramic magnets on all the drivers as long as the meters don't go over 250 and the power guard stays off you should be fine. My favorite amp for non bi amped Grands was the MC 3500 and they were a great match in that period of time. I would rather have bi-amped Grands with amps with out autoformers for the high damping factor to control the woofers. But as your amps have a respectable damping factor if you place the amps next to the speakers will help greatly nwith super short speaker cables. But that big coil in the woofer circuit makes the woofers kind of fuzzy, that's why most Symphony and Grand owners bi-amp. . Did you know if you take 2 Grands and place then side by side and run them in mono the bass will extend below 16 HZ like "Big Bertha" in a large room .

Wow thanks for info!

Just got into a new place. Speakers are now in a 24x30 room! Also picked up some smaller bozak's I for get the module but 2 tweeters in front of a 12. A 2 way. IMG_20161001_083603.jpg 20160930_191144.jpg

Rats.
I've been sitting here since your last post last October, waiting for you to put 'em up for sale.
Enjoy...you're sitting pretty now.

The small speakers are b312'still and I currently do not have a amplifier for them. Right now I'm powering them with a class D car amp I have powered off a 13.8v power supply... not the most ideal setup but I've been looking at amps and I'm not sure how much power I need to drive these 312s..

My current amplifier setup lol and speaker placement as of now.

Attachments

• 1477252846621-1909803448.jpg
    1477252846621-1909803448.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 1477252911382-1908557958.jpg
    1477252911382-1908557958.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 33
These Bozaks are really efficient,94 - 96 db efficient.Don't really need lots of power at all:)

Thanks,

I just pulled the trigger on a Onkyo TX-8020 Stereo Receiver 50w at 8 ohm should work nicely . Also has nice knobs for easy adjustment on bass, treble and balance and at $150 it should work well

Back
Top Bottom