brake light problem on a 2001 Ford Windstar

philo426

My wife recently alerted me that the message center indicated there was a problem with the brake lights.I changed both bulbs but they still will not light when the pedal is depressed.However the rear lights and turn signals work just fine as does the turn signals embedded in the side mirrors.I don't think it is a fuse because fuse 7 which controls the brake lights also controls the turn signals.The wires coming out of the body are not severed or abraded.Any ideas?

Maybe the brake light switch usually above the brake pedal near where it pivots. That's my guess.

You've checked all three brake lights? The center light may be the culprit. Just a guess. edit Ed has it. The light switch at the pedal is the likely culprit.

Does the center light work? If it does, and the two regular brake lights do not, then the fault is probably the turn signal switch in the column. The center light runs straight off the brake switch, but the two on the side run through the multifunction switch. If none of them work, its either a fuse or the brake switch itself.

Bent I can't understand how engaging the E-brake and releasing it could help..but I did and it restored function to the center light on the hatch and the right tail light.The left is still out so I guess I'll live with it for now!

Bent I can't understand how engaging the E-brake and releasing it could help..but I did and it restored function to the center light on the hatch and the right tail light.The left is still out so I guess I'll live with it for now!
Might want to go ahead and replace that bulb. A burned out brake light will get you pulled over by the police here.

Check the bulb socket and contacts. I know on my '02 Trailblazer they tend to corrode the tail light contacts in the socket. A dab of dielectric grease on the contacts fixes that if the socket isn't burned out and ruined from the resistance and heat. Good luck with it.

OK dudes it was the brake light switch after all.Now the bad news;The water pump went out on my '98 Chrysler Town and Country!What an expensive pita this will be!

Back
Top Bottom