Braun L 630 Speaker Thread

OK. Cutting down some screws to 20mm works great (the threads are 20mm, includung the head the screw is 22mm). The screw is long enough for complete thread engagement without bottoming out in the hole. It's very difficult to see in the photos but there is about 2mm+ of clearance between the screw head and the back side of the grills. The system goes to it's new home in about a month and I'll post a few photos in situ.

DSC04486.jpg DSC04488.jpg DSC04490.jpg DSC04491.jpg DSC04493.jpg

I just went back and measured the total height of the stand-off with some dial callipers. 15.5mm total from the faceplate to the top of the screw head. Then I poked a toothpick through the grill and measured 3.3mm, minus the 0.8mm thickness of the grill leaves 2.5mm clearance. Just in case anyone wants to do this at least you have some numbers to work with and don't have to figure it all over again. These numbers should all be within +- 0.1mm.

Cheers,
James

Last edited:
Beautiful! Your daughter is going to love them!

That raised screw idea is similar to the earlier Brauns/ADS that had some built in protection for the mids (pictured).

The wood used to execute the fillet (or is it a chamfer?) corners is lighter in color on many of these x30 Brauns - looks purposeful and part of the design of course. Is that a different species of wood than the veneer on the other sections?

634534-braunads_l710_speakers.jpg

Thanks Jon! Way cool to know that ADS did that too. At least I'm on the right track. And if they did the same then I suppose that we can infer that they didn't find any diffraction issues.

I believe that the corner pieces are solid wood but that's a guess. I haven't tried to find out because I can't think of any way to prove the theory without getting destructive. Canton speaker cabs are similar. I like the contrast and that they aren't all the same. Some corners are lighter, some not.

Have you gotten your 830's yet?

Cheers,
James

Not yet...I'm down to one set of speakers (ADS 710s). Pretty darn happy with them but I'd like to hear the 830s. Need to pick them up.

6 months ago I bought a pair of Braun L 630 3-way speakers on ebay. It's taken me until this week to get to getting them re-conditioned.

Before getting into the speakers I'm going to share the service manual for future reference. Yes. There is a service manual for Braun speakers. It's main value is a schematic and a parts list that shows all of the driver part numbers and crossover component values.

The manual that I bought on ebay was in itself a scan and fairly faint. When I scanned it I reduced the brightness and raised the contrast and it improved a bit but it's still fairly light but readable. The manual actually covers models L 530, L 530F, L 630, L 730 and L 830. I'm posting the 3 pages for the 630 here but if there is interest in the other modely I'll scan them for anyone that wants them.

The manual is in German. I'll do some translations of the important stuff in the next post.

View attachment 984199 View attachment 984200 View attachment 984201

Cheers,
James

edit: I rescanned the pages, a little less brightness, a little more contrast and sharpness. And zipped them to make it easier to dl and print.

James, I picked up a set of L630-s yesterday. I'm in Victoria Canada. These are in excellent condition. Your post is really well done - and I wanted to drop a line and thank you. I am likely going to add banana connectors and update the crossovers. Cabinets (walnut) could use a refinish. Very little in terms of damage on the wood cabinet. Grills are silver. I've started to get them flat and remove small dents. I'm likely going to make a wood front fo them, well enough to ensure they are not too close to the midrange driver and cover them with cloth.

Richard

James, I picked up a set of L630-s yesterday. I'm in Victoria Canada. These are in excellent condition. Your post is really well done - and I wanted to drop a line and thank you. I am likely going to add banana connectors and update the crossovers. Cabinets (walnut) could use a refinish. Very little in terms of damage on the wood cabinet. Grills are silver. I've started to get them flat and remove small dents. I'm likely going to make a wood front fo them, well enough to ensure they are not too close to the midrange driver and cover them with cloth.

Richard

Thanks for the kind comments Richard. You are not far from where I grew up, mostly around Tacoma, Washington.

All of the Braun grills that I have seen so far have been silver. They have an attractive design but I wish that they had gone with steel grills instead of aluminum, it bends far too easily.

Enjoy your 630's, they are some very nice speakers. :):thumbsup: Their crossovers are of very good quality, the only thing that really needs doing is replacing the electrolytics and re-soldering everything.

Cheers,
James

For you guys working on grilles - it would be interesting to see what an automotive PDR (Paintless Dent Repair) guy could do with them. They have all kinds of tools and skills for working out dents.

It would be an experiment for sure!

Back
Top Bottom