Brian Eno: The Magister of Ambient

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Been listening to Brian Eno. He is one of the founders of Ambient music. I have good collection on my HD's, and he is well represented on Apple Music. Brian also has a several app's Reflection $39.99 which is a continuous playing version of his wonderful album by the same name, there is Trope $3.99, and finally Bloom also $3.99. Brian Eno's music was once called Psychoacoustic when listening to this genre you have to think in terms of a tonal progression that has been in existence for an eternity, it does not start nor does it end rather it arrives and departs your listening location. Listening is not really a proper term either you don't really listen it is just there. There is no description that one can use to describe this sort of music you just have to listen. I am sure that Brian Eno has experimented with 5.1 surround sets but I have never seen a release of any and this type of music would would really suck you in more then is does now in a surround sound.

I have alway got a kick when I introduce people to Brian Eno and other Psychoacoustic composers like Aeoliah, Iasos, Michael Stearns, and Steve Roach.
They start listening;
"This is weird".............."weird"..............................."hmmm"...........................gone.

An interesting illustration of the going, going, gone effects of this sort of music is what it does to very young babies. back about 1980 or so a college friend of mine had a new son. He was a night time horror. My friend was sleeping in class, and his wife was at her wits end. I sent the cassettes with Wendy (then Walter) Carlos' Sonic Seasonings(1972) home. They softly played this album and the boy quieted down and slept well during the night. I was a hero and I had another convert to New Age music. :D

Last edited:
I pulled out "Sonic Seasonings" just the other day. Probably my favorite from her(?).

I have a real affinity for anything trance inducing.
Although, I don't normally look for "ambient" artists, I do have records I know I can always go to for that dream like state.

I'm more a fan of Eno from the 70's:
Roxy Music, 801/Quiet Sun, Cluster/Harmonia, Fripp, Bowie, No New York, David Byrne, Jon Hassel.

I own the earliest ambient recordings, just running across a copy of "Discreet Music" at the record shop last week.
I've also got "Music For Films", "Music For Airports", "On Land" and "Forth World Vol. 1 Possible Musics".

After he hooked up with U2 I kind of lost interest.
I've bought his Jah Wobble CD "Spinner" , the John Cale CD "Wrong Way Up", and "The Drop".

Any recommendations from the late 90's to now I should own?

I've been into new age since before Ambient was cool!

Been on a Harold Budd kick the last couple weeks -
I recent got a nice CD of The Pavilion of Dreams (early Eno related works) via Bartertown here ...
and I already had The Pearl and Ambient 2: The Plateau of Mirror, plusthe 4D album The Moon and the Melodies
(Budd and the Cocteau twins)

I had an old 2nd hand cassette copy of The Pavilion of Dreams LP from years ago, but the Editions EG CD is nice!

I like the stuff Eno did with Robert Fripp!
Absolutely - No Pussyfooting, baby!

Last edited:
I pulled out "Sonic Seasonings" just the other day. Probably my favorite from her(?).

I have a real affinity for anything trance inducing.
Although, I don't normally look for "ambient" artists, I do have records I know I can always go to for that dream like state.

I'm more a fan of Eno from the 70's:
Roxy Music, 801/Quiet Sun, Cluster/Harmonia, Fripp, Bowie, No New York, David Byrne, Jon Hassel.

I own the earliest ambient recordings, just running across a copy of "Discreet Music" at the record shop last week.
I've also got "Music For Films", "Music For Airports", "On Land" and "Forth World Vol. 1 Possible Musics".

After he hooked up with U2 I kind of lost interest.
I've bought his Jah Wobble CD "Spinner" , the John Cale CD "Wrong Way Up", and "The Drop".

Any recommendations from the late 90's to now I should own?

Another Day on Earth is good. It's not ambient but interesting.

P8299908.jpg

DISCREET MUSIC
An arrangement for cello, violin, soprano saxophone, electric guitar,
double bass, vibraphone, piano, flute, gongs. Recorded live on August
19, 2011.

Brian Eno
Contact
Jerry Pergolesi - director, arrangement

Cantaloupe

Back
Top Bottom