1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Bridging VS Strapping - the differences explained

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by damacman, Nov 12, 2015.

1. leftside

leftside AK Member Subscriber

I just gave mine a listen at max volume. 100 on the C2300 and full gain on both amps - with no music playing. Couldn't really detect any "noise" until I hit 78 on the C2300. Gradually got a little more hiss as I went higher than 78. Though, I've never actually had the C2300 any higher than 60. At this volume it was causing the drainpipes outside to rattle.

2. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Well that's to be expected. This is a reflection of the Signal to Noise ratio of each component.

When you start lighting the PG lamps while playing music ... then you're having fun.

leftside likes this.
  3. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

BTW this is a great thread Tony with lots of info and time taken to post.

We need it to be a sticky since a lot of mac owners double up.

62caddy likes this.
  4. W9TR

W9TR Active Member

damacman,
    Thanks for the great explanation. Much appreciated. I had two MC2102's which can be run bridged or parallel mono with a flip of a switch on the back and rewiring the speaker terminals.

The big thing I noticed was that when I ran the amps bridged they sounded much clearer and cleaner. This is because a lot of the distortion is cancelled out when the amps are run this way. In parallel mono I got a sound that had a little better bass, but was very much "more of the same". It was a lot of fun to play with both options. For this specific amp the results were very different. I was running Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Grand speakers.

4-2-7 likes this.
  5. 62caddy

62caddy AK Subscriber Subscriber

I just learned the MC2155 is also designed for both - mono parallel AND bridged operation allowing for 300W into 0.5, 1, 2, 4, 8 and 16 ohm.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    damacman likes this.
  6. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music Subscriber

This is what I would expect from bridging as opposed to parallel mono, the cancelling effect of the bridge will improve noise and distortion....

7. damacman

kev, many car audio amplifiers that can be bridged use the LEFT + / RIGHT - scheme where the right channel is inverted and its negative is the hot.

Interestingly enough, McIntosh amps are the only that I'm aware of that do not quadruple power when bridged - comparing say the 8 Ohm single channel rating to the 8 Ohm mono rating. whoareu99's math in post 2 is spot on and addresses that.

Finally, MC2105s cannot be operated in mono without being modified to do so ... which looks to be simple.

8. 62caddy

62caddy AK Subscriber Subscriber

I agree. It should be "stickified". :)

4-2-7 likes this.
  9. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music Subscriber

Thats very interesting about the car amplifiers. They must be fully floating (each channel in normal stereo configuration) if they can do that, and it then simplifies the inversion requirement which can then be done at the output....

Crown Macro-techs are 1300 watts per channel @ 8Ω, in bridged mono they are 4000watts @ 8Ω, so they don't quite quadruple either. Perhaps the McIntosh don't because of the autoformers? The Crown, not sure why they don't....

10. teisco

teisco Active Member

Is there anyway to tell if an amp can be bridged? I have a couple of Proficient M2's that I would like to bridge or strap but there is no info on how that I can find. Only thing that gives me a clue is a brochure that states they can be bridged but leaves it at that.

11. damacman

I'd call them in regards.

12. teisco

teisco Active Member

Old amps so not sure they are even in business anymore.

13. chef free

chef free AK Subscriber Subscriber

Great info in this thread, thanks to all! I run a pair of strapped MC2200s and I'm wondering about damping factor. Would it be cut in half?

14. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Go back to your original thread about bridging the amp. I'll give you some ideas on way(s) you might be able to tell if it can somehow bridge itself.

15. Mike Gibson

Mike Gibson Modulator Super Mod Subscriber

OK, it's now a sticky. Just lets not let it degenerate into a mess.. Thanks.

4-2-7 and motorstereo like this.
  16. mech986

mech986 Text ↓ optional Posts:>18,000 Subscriber

They're still around, they even have a webpage about the M2, you should be able to get some guidance from them if they will talk technical with you over the phone or supply

http://www.proficientaudio.com/products/archived-products/m2-power-amplifier

Manual if you don't already have it.
    http://www.proficientaudio.com/images/stories/pdf/manuals/M2Manual.pdf