Bringing my old 10" tapes out of long storage - a couple questions

I hadn't looked at them just yet but I actually only have one old reel of Maxell, and it sounds like it may be OK anyway (no / less problem with SSS). A majority of the tape I used back then was Scotch 207.

Scotch 206 and 207 for me have been very reliable, and no SSS issues. I've had a reel or two of Scotch 250 go sticky shed, but most of that was reliable. Maxell never a problem, TDK LX fine, GX has had issues.

Beware that you cannot unfasten the Maxell Reels to put another pancake into them. The others will allow the screws to be loosened. Have no idea of why Hitachi\Maxell went that route.
I’m not sure that I understand what you have said about Maxell reels. From my experience, Maxell uses the typical flat head screw and barrel nut arrangement to hold the reel flanges and hub together. Occasionally these are difficult to separate due to oxidation/corrosion. In these cases I have been able to drill through the barrel nut(s) and replace the hardware with new parts available from a number of sources.

I’m not sure that I understand what you have said about Maxell reels.
I don't believe it is corrosion but loctite. I haven't heated the barrel nuts yet to try to separate a Maxell reel and probably won't need to as my FF/REW is fast and I have plenty of reels to use if I need to mt one to load a pancake. The Maxell hardware is difficult to unscrew and using proper fitting tools helps maybe heat would, too.

I’m not sure that I understand what you have said about Maxell reels. From my experience, Maxell uses the typical flat head screw and barrel nut arrangement to hold the reel flanges and hub together. Occasionally these are difficult to separate due to oxidation/corrosion. In these cases I have been able to drill through the barrel nut(s) and replace the hardware with new parts available from a number of sources.

Agree that my Maxell reels come apart fine. You have to make sure you have the proper screw drivers and pressure.

Scotch 206 and 207 for me have been very reliable, and no SSS issues. I've had a reel or two of Scotch 250 go sticky shed, but most of that was reliable. Maxell never a problem, TDK LX fine, GX has had issues.

That's interesting but what you're saying about 207 isn't consistent with what I've read in a number of other places. I'm wondering if your tapes aren't as old as mine (45 years old, give or take) and have been stored in better conditions. Fortunately there's not a lot of stuff on those old tapes that's irreplaceable. I don't know how much I'll be using it to make new recordings, some to be sure, but since I'm taking the time to go all through my old TEAC deck I'm more inclined to buy new tape pancakes and move on from there.

Mine are 45-46 years of age. Never a problem with Scotch 206 or 207 here. 250 once or twice I have had the issue with. Classic has been a major offender.

I once bought old reels of Ampex 456 (just a couple dollars each, mainly for the reels), and tried one of the reels of tape. After less than 10 minutes, the head was completely caked and barely making any sound. That was before I'd heard of sticky shed, at least 15 years ago if not more.

Back
Top Bottom