British Thomson Houston Speakers. What is this worth?

BloodyRemote

Hello everyone

I hope someone could tell me more about these speakers. All I know is that they are efficient, heavy and a pain in the A*** to come by.

I have seen only seen two that look similar to these BTH cinema speakers. I think they are cinema speakers from what I have found. I would like to know more about these and there value as I can not find anything.

I have uploaded images which of course would help :)

Attachments

• DSC04193.JPG
    DSC04193.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC04194.JPG
    DSC04194.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC04195.JPG
    DSC04195.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC04196.JPG
    DSC04196.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC04197.JPG
    DSC04197.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC04198.JPG
    DSC04198.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC04199.JPG
    DSC04199.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC04200.JPG
    DSC04200.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC04202.JPG
    DSC04202.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC04203.JPG
    DSC04203.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 76
Looks like a nice reason for a DIY project similar.... :thumbsup:
I thought that these could be a great DIY project. They are very efficient, but just can not find much information on these so building a enclosure for these would be a pain. Where would I even start and what tweeter would these pair nicely with? Would I go with a horn tweeter etc. If I was to use this as my project I would want to do it properly. I'm a bit A**L when it comes to doing something. Doing it properly, or do not do it at all.

Maybe someone might have some more information about these.

I do also have something else that I would need help on. Will create another post later on in time. If I remember from who they where purchased from they where custom built for one of the managers of the BBC with custom axiom drivers. The cones are different from what the axiom 201 have. I think they are axiom 201 from what I have seen. They where especially built for the roger ls3/5a apparently. Might stumble across someone who used to work at the BBC a couple of odd years ago. Fingers crossed

Just because of the coolness factor of those, I would repair any obvious defects, like the rips in the cones if possible. Then I would do some measurements for the T/S parameters just as a starting point. Then I would build something.

Then again, sometimes the desirability to a collector is in the unrestored state.

Just because of the coolness factor of those, I would repair any obvious defects, like the rips in the cones if possible. Then I would do some measurements for the T/S parameters just as a starting point. Then I would build something.

Then again, sometimes the desirability to a collector is in the unrestored state.
These was no tear before, until the silly man who sold it put a tear in it when loading it in the car. Could of had one of the most amazing condition, cone wise speakers of this age :( Gutted!

I have some knowledge when it comes to audio etc, I could be able to see what the t/s parameter is, but not anytime soon as I am always busy especially with ebay. I would of course need help on what to do next. That is where my knowledge is limited.

Yes, find someone to measure them for T/S params and you're on your way. That will tell you enclosure size and type, and hopefully the usable frequency range. They look like they would go pretty low, with those accordion surrounds. Actually those look a lot like 1970s CTS surrounds.

Those look like some really nicely made drivers, I've never heard of British Thomson before.

I have a classic Philco 90 tombstone radio that this happened to, only worse. Auctioneer picked it up, one hand under the arch on the front, the other on the rear. The 75-year-old glue holding the plywood arch stiffener in the back gave way, so he lost all lift from the rear of the set. It's heavy, so it swung pendulum like on his other hand, driving his fat gorilla fingers through the fragile grille cloth and then through the edge of the speaker cone. The plywood arch was nowhere to be found so I had to get someone who owned a 90 to send me a tracing so I could replicate it.

Careful out there folks.

Yes, find someone to measure them for T/S params and you're on your way. That will tell you enclosure size and type, and hopefully the usable frequency range.

This. Once you have determined the T/S parameters (after they are repaired!), you are off to the races. Those parameters will tell you everything you need to build the proper enclosure.

All you would need to do from there is add your preferred period horn/driver. The T/S numbers will give you the basics you need for designing a proper crossover network, too.

GeeDeeEmm

One thing I like (and fear) is British manufacturers that never updated their tooling. Those speakers look ancient and yet are no older than I am.
Its like I am looking at a time machine.

Perhaps you might drop an email to some of the vintage radio society forum/clubs/societies. They usually have tons of information on the real vintage kit like these speakers... Just an idea...

I possibly could. Wouldn't know where to begin. Might you have some societies in mind?

This. Once you have determined the T/S parameters (after they are repaired!), you are off to the races. Those parameters will tell you everything you need to build the proper enclosure.

All you would need to do from there is add your preferred period horn/driver. The T/S numbers will give you the basics you need for designing a proper crossover network, too.

GeeDeeEmm

Yes, was looking at how I could repairs these, but still on the fence about repairing them and tinkering with them or selling them. I have seen some people use tissue and to what i think it to be is watered down PVA glue to allow flexibility. If that is not the 'right' way, what other options of repairs would I be looking at?

One thing I like (and fear) is British manufacturers that never updated their tooling. Those speakers look ancient and yet are no older than I am.
Its like I am looking at a time machine.

Yes, these are incredibly old. I thought these where to be dated back to 1983, but might be dated 1883. I need to look into this more.

I have a classic Philco 90 tombstone radio that this happened to, only worse. Auctioneer picked it up, one hand under the arch on the front, the other on the rear. The 75-year-old glue holding the plywood arch stiffener in the back gave way, so he lost all lift from the rear of the set. It's heavy, so it swung pendulum like on his other hand, driving his fat gorilla fingers through the fragile grille cloth and then through the edge of the speaker cone. The plywood arch was nowhere to be found so I had to get someone who owned a 90 to send me a tracing so I could replicate it.

Careful out there folks.

Mistakes happen :( Sometimes, you just got to hold in the anger and compose yourself. Did the auctioneer pay for the repair and how was the speaker repaired?

Yes, was looking at how I could repairs these, but still on the fence about repairing them and tinkering with them or selling them. I have seen some people use tissue and to what i think it to be is watered down PVA glue to allow flexibility. If that is not the 'right' way, what other options of repairs would I be looking at?

If they were mine, and they worked fine outside of the cone tear, I would make repairs on the back of the cone using a gauze-type material with a high thread count and your choice of a flexible glue of some type. The tear will still show, but if the repair is done using common sense and care, the cone should be able to deliver essentially as well as when new. JMO.

GeeDeeEmm

Back
Top Bottom