Britpop!

I didn't understand it as "pop" music until I spent a couple months out of last year in London. They actually do play Blur and the like on radio over there, or in the drugstore, or at chain restaurants. It's just pop music, when as a college kid over here in the '90s, it was different and exotic in some way.

Well in the US by that point college radio wasn't too interested because it was so slick (Pavement's Slanted and Enchanted came out in April 1992), and mainstream radio was already deep into the mostly regrettable post-grunge era.

Now "Song #2" is a sports area anthem. Go figure.

The defining song, in my opinion, for that era was Pulp's Common People.

I think I'm going to play that right now, actually. The album that it's on, Different Class, is classic. The themes of it, and the album after it (This is Hardcore) are much more involved than most pop music. And it's seedy.

The blurb for Different Class from our fair city's Reckless Records: "This is one of the greatest albums ever and one of the best unmade musicals just waiting with baited breath and sexy jazz hands to be written. OUTSTANDING." Yep.

So, anyone like Britpop? By this, I refer to actual bands. Not who ever the Britney Spears of Britain is. Anyways, I will start off by throwing a some what more...twee band out there. I think that twee is an offshoot genre of Britpop. So without further ado I give you Belle and Sebastian!!

I like Belle and Sebastian. My favorite album is "Dear Catastrophe Waitress," which is probably the poppiest album that I really enjoy. Their last album "The Life Pursuit" was pretty good too, but I've noticed they haven't released anything after that. Are they done?

"This is Hardcore" is a lot less 'pop' than it is 'brit'. It's kind of like the long hangover after the britpop party. A great mid-'30s album, maybe the best mid-'30s album, actually.

Well, I think of Pet Clark, Herman's Hermits and The Hollies

Hey, I like them, too. You can draw a line from The Kinks through The Jam right into Blur and it's a natural progression.

And of course, Oasis is just a shite Beatles cover band. :)

Last edited:
But that is why there was crossover Indie from Scotland, like Belle & Sebastian..so that the scene would still have cute girls.

**** man, any decent music scene has to have cute girls. That's why I can't stand any metal bands. Their girls look they want to shrive you off your manhood and feed them to the dogs. Twee girls are way cuter. Of course, that is just my opinion. And how would everyone feel about a "Today's INDIE playlist" thread? I don't want to seem too pretentious here seeing as that I am a relatively new member and music is really my only area of expertise.

Last edited:
I was in London in 1995, right smack dab in the heart of the Britpop scene. Was able to see Ash play, which was nice.

The Charlatans UK - Melting Pot

"The Only One I Know"...

Edit: I have not heard this collection in years. It ROCKS! Glad I saw this thread.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom