"Broadcast Electronics" phono stage

lalatal

any body famimiliar with there products?
it is EP-1 or EP-2 RIAA Preamplifier
from a broadcast station
is it any good for home use?

Can't hurt to try it! Broadcast stuff is usually better than most consumer stuff, and also usually better built, since the unit has to live in a much harsher environment than a typical home unit.

Hmmm...

:scratch2:

Most of the broadcast stuff I've played with has been better built but lacking aesthetic appeal for doemstic use and not as good sounding as domestic gear.

Really? Balanced outputs and inputs? I find that pro equipment almost always sounds much better than consumer stuff. Remember, they have to contend with the rest of the chain, (compression, transmitters. etc) that degrade sound and video before it gets into the homes of the viewers/listeners.

Take for example the Tascam stuff, even though I HATE the CD players they make, it's not because of sound, but because of the controls..(IMO they suck) I've never had a problem with the sound they put out. I think a bottom of the lne Tascam CD player puts out some of the best Redbook CD sound you can buy. I still hate the controls though, but that's just me.

And yes....broadcast equipment is ugly with a capital "U".

Last edited:
Hi manny,

is that phono preamp made by "broadcast electronics" or another manufacturer? Is it rack mount? I'm just wondering whether it's another unit I'm thinking of? Any Pics? Thanks.

BTW, "How do we know what it is, if you don't say it?" Maybe it's a shrubbery!

Regards,

Bart

Last edited:
ROFL! Made my day! It would have to be a really nice shrubbery...

A [ic would be really nice. Even better, just hook the damn thing up and listen to it! Tell us what you think!

Hi MannyE,

In my limited experience with pro/broadcast stuff, yes.

Balanced in/outs is no gaurantee of good sound.

The local stations here were usually fitted out with mass market "pro" crap; heavy duty ugly cosmetics, often with dummy balanced phono 1/4 " connectors, rack handles etc.

Technics was a favoured brand for turntables; SL-1200's, some pro Technics CDP.

All sounded OK when broadcast but crap at home on a wide bandwidth system; FM is limited to 30-15,000 Hz ? So all the crap at the extremes on the Technics doesn't make it through the airwaves.

The best stuff I've seen in local FM stations has been a twin set of Revox B-77's (used for playing adverts !) and one pop station which used Plinius amps for monitoring.

Otherwise there was nothing I would want to have at home.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are now the Knights who say "Ekky-ekky-ekky-ekky-z'Bang, zoom-Boing, z'nourrrwringmm".

http://lorien.sdsu.edu/~carroll/shrub.html

Broadcast Electronics, Inc.

the phono stage is made by this company
http://www.bdcast.com/

it has a pair of RCA's for input
and set of screws for output (4 for each chanel)
has pair of trimers for gain control
by the seller it is MM only
and made in 1993
i will try to post some pictures later

Back
Top Bottom