Broke a tube alignment pin, use mixed set of tubes?

couple of points

you could buy a keyway adapter that fits over the tube socket that adds a usable pin guide
you could simply use it without or glue it back on

for the 3 remaining tubes, you can use two on one side for some 'compatibility" esp
if its a shared bias (2 pots for bias, vs 4) and one for spare.

and if you are particularly adventuresome, you can pull the bases off and rewire using
"better" male pin sockets.

I'd advise to use socket savers and gently mod them to allow the remaining three to easily
fit these. much easier to 'adjust" these than the ones mounted in the chassis

you might want measure the tube's diameter, pin spacing, pin widths, guide pin specs,
etc. then compare to standard or non-Chinese EL34s. this is to identify where and
why the tubes are so difficult to insert. use a digital micrometer. eyeballing below 1mm
is same as guess work.

if the el34s can't be made to work (not excluding/including gentle subtractive work
on the tubes, then you could sell them here on AK

I hadn't considered socket savers - good idea.

Not sure if I want to invest in a digital micrometer, but it would be interesting to have the measurements.

Thanks.

I personally go for analog ones just because I know the battery is never dead. A decent brand 0-1 mic can probably be had for 20 bucks or so used. Doesn't have to be Starrett, my fav 0-1 is actually an old Millers Falls.

Back
Top Bottom