broken balance slider Marantz 2500

mikey99

Next up on my 2500 todo list is fixing this......
My 2500 has the typical broken balance slider, but I'm also missing the slider knob.
I've seen a few suggestions for extending the arm with another piece of metal, and
am planning to do this but first I need to find a correct knob. I've seen several similar
Marantz knobs for sale on ebay, but not sure what would look best. I think the knob
may be slightly larger than the other pushbutton knobs. Anyone know the dimensions
or where I could find a correct replacement ?

You are correct Bob, the slider knob is the same for the 2600, 2500 and 2385. This is a common problem area. Heavy unit and if carried from the front will get bent or broke. Tip of the balance slider control into the knob is very short. Easy to break or bend just moving left to right if your not carefull. My other complaint is the volume lettering. Be careful cleaning!!!! I Own the 2500, had the 2385 and absolutely love both units. Good luck with it, Dennis

I'm thinking it should be about 9 mm diameter and 16 mm in length, just guessing based on looking at pictures
of the 2500 and comparing to the other buttons/knobs :)

On mine it was the internal slider control that was broken and you needed the same part that only fit the 2385,2500 or 2600.No other Marantz part fit:)

My balance slider control functionally works okay, so I'm planning on just extending the slider arm as detailed in another thread here on AK.
But it would be nice to have a 'correct' looking knob first, because I may need to create the extension to fit the knob.

Last edited:
It is the same size as the rest of the buttons, 1/2 X 3/8. or 12 X 9.5 mm

Last edited:
I finally found a replacement knob, however its not from a balance slider , its from a 2500 pushbutton.
I was able to remove the insert and am working on making the aluminum piece to attach to the broken
slider and interface into the knob insert.

While trying to find the older threads that had pictures showing how to fix the broken slider....I noticed
that all of the pictures are missing. Hoping that these can be fixed in the original threads or re-posted
here. I think these pictures were all originally posted by rBuckner.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....need-balance-control-for-marantz-2500.544671/

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/marantz-2500-refurb.539230/page-3#post-7145426

Yes, it was me. I dumped Flickr after starting to get spam from that service. I found the pictures:

Marantz2500 001.JPG
I had an old Sansui 9090 switch to cannibalize.
Marantz2500 002.JPG
I disassembled the Sansui switch to get the operating lever.
Marantz2500 001.JPG
I drilled two holes in the slider's "stump" for screws.
Marantz2500 002.JPG

Marantz2500 005.JPG
Doubled checked that they could both be used. (I'm guessing!)
Marantz2500 006.JPG
Yep, that worked. I don't recall what size they were though.
Marantz2500 008.JPG Marantz2500 009.JPG
Ta-da!! I had to remove the white plastic piece on the inside of the face plate though. I may also have had to elongate the slider mounting holes to move it down so that the spliced on arm end would travel in the middle of the face plate slot.

Thanks for re-posting the pictures ! ...... I found some info in another thread confirming the tone and equalizer boards could be removed
from below. These need to be removed (at least the equalizer board) in order to remove the balance slider. Today I pulled the two
boards and removed the slider. I plan to go ahead and recap both boards and clean the controls. Actually that was also on my
todo list, so I'm making good progress.

IMG_20171126_181631184.jpg

IMG_20171126_181618133.jpg

Last edited:
Looking for a 2500 balance control. Unit is in good physical condition except the balance control is broken off. Also moving the slider - it does not work. Anyone know where I could find one? Planning a total restoration this winter.

Thanks, Ken

Out of curiosity I just searched on a certain auction site for 4270 and there is the assembly with the three sliders up for sale there. Can you confirm those are the same or different than the one you need?

Thanks for the reply. They are different. I have a parts unit 4270. The sliders on those are 1.75 inch aprox. The slider on the 2385, 2500 and 2600 are aprox 2.75 inches. I wished they were the same.

There's a 2500 parts unit on the auction site, you could check with that seller and see if the balance control is still available.

I inquired about that slider on eBay for one of my projects hes has one but he's looking for and arm and a leg for it not cool

Finally got back to working on this balance slider. I was hoping to find a replacement slider but no luck.

I purchased a 2500 push button knob on ebay, removed the insert and modified the insert to be inserted fully
into the button , without the exposed collar. I cut a piece of aluminum as an extension to the shaft arm
and attached it using some tiny screws. The interface to the knob insert is somewhat different than the
original, but it works. I've hacked and patched a ton of stuff in my day, but this definitely ranks up near
the top of my PITA list. The clearance between the chassis and the front panel doesn't leave much room
for the repaired shaft and screws to be attached and move freely with the front panel in place. Glad to finally have this part done.

I've also recapped the PT-01 and PE-01 boards and cleaned the rotary and push button switches with DeOxit.
I'm considering pulling the P400 and PS-01 boards to recap/clean while I have this apart. The P400 board
is quite difficult to remove from below and can only be swung out a small distance for access.

Still need to file the mounting holes to move the slider assembly down so it aligns with the
front panel. The two small screws I used are 5/64 inch according to my drill gauge.

Thanks again to rBuckner for posting the pics to help with this !

IMG_20180122_172052712.jpg
IMG_20180122_171103861.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom