Broken McIntosh 2100 for 200 worth it?

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by Odizzieus, Jan 6, 2019.

1. THD

THD New Member

Like I said, never have I had to replace a transformer on any amplifier of any type I've repaired, and there have been a lot. If a transformer is fried then the owner must have really did some damage with some kind of miswiring or incompetence. That's my experience.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. BillWojo

BillWojo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Look what neevo has done so far on his C20, I doubt the MC2100 is even in the same league as what neevo had to start with.
    So prove me wrong, where are the pics?

BillWojo

3. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

We've had a few turn up here in some forum threads. How an autoformer gets fried is indeed a mystery, I can imagine flashover occasionally occuring in the voltage stressed multifilar wound unity coupled OPTs.

4. savatage1973

savatage1973 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I agree that (in general) transformer failures are "rare", but they happen--lightning strikes (rare), sheer stupidity (more common) and trannies with the internal potted fuses (much more common), but pretty much any transformer can be re-wound or a new one replicated--it is just a matter of $$$--it's not like it is cutting-edge new tech, or totally obsolete tech that only two "gurus" in the world can repair/replicate.

Problem here is a seller that absolutely refuses to allow anyone perform a simple test before purchase indicates that they already know what the problem is AND what it will cost to repair.

5. BillWojo

BillWojo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Wasn't there an amp on Ebay that had a bullet hole in one of the transformers? Now that one your not fixing easy.

BillWojo

6. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

Yes, an MC240.

7. neevo

neevo Super Member

Hahaha. I was hovering and not saying anything until you brought my C20 up. That seller knew what he had but was 100% fair on the price... $200 too!

My thoughts were I’d rather have a junk $200 McIntosh than none at all. At least I could say I owned a Mac :)

Fixing it is a different story. But I’m a firm believer that anything is possible. All you need is unlimited time, skill, resources and money :(

I have time, resources and a little bit of skill and money. So happy to take on these ridiculous projects.

SaturationPt and BillWojo like this.
  8. excabincrew

excabincrew Member

OP
    Did you buy the broken amp??

9. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

He likely lost interest in this ridiculous thread ...

10. excabincrew

excabincrew Member

11. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

AK intel network...