Broken string on MR78 dial....ouch

Tullman

I just had the string repaired and it cost more than I care to mention. It this something one can DIY??

When I got my MR-78, the dial would slip when the unit got warm. I sent it to Richard Modafferi for mods, and he applied a wax to the cord. When I got it back, the dial still slipped, and it was discovered that my tuner had a congenital anomaly--one too few wraps around the tuning shaft resulting in too little spring tension. With Modafferi's instructions, I removed most of the cord, rewrapped it properly, and since then so slip. It wasn't very difficult, but I was a little nervous. Mr. Modafferi even told me that he disliked doing dial cords, and when he was at McIntosh, he would send his prototypes to the factory floor for dial cord installation. Those folks could just about do it with their eyes closed. With care, I believe it could easily be a DIY project.

William

Originally posted by pathologymd
When I got my MR-78, the dial would slip when the unit got warm. I sent it to Richard Modafferi for mods, and he applied a wax to the cord. When I got it back, the dial still slipped, and it was discovered that my tuner had a congenital anomaly--one too few wraps around the tuning shaft resulting in too little spring tension. With Modafferi's instructions, I removed most of the cord, rewrapped it properly, and since then so slip. It wasn't very difficult, but I was a little nervous. Mr. Modafferi even told me that he disliked doing dial cords, and when he was at McIntosh, he would send his prototypes to the factory floor for dial cord installation. Those folks could just about do it with their eyes closed. With care, I believe it could easily be a DIY project.

William

Easy? The tech told me he had to look at another tuner he had in order to get it right.

I did not say the project was easy. I said it could easily be a DIY project, granted a challenging one. I have the service manual for the MR-78, and it has a very clear diagram for the dial cord stringing with basic instructions. It was not fun, but I was able to do it. It was either that or ship the unit off again, which I did not want to do.

William

Right, it can be done with a pair of hemostats, and a few large paper clips bent into hooks. Worst dial cord I did was an early MR55 no diagrams to be had, got a sketch from one of the factory techs, to bad it was not the right one and the MR55's we had in stock were not the same. Ended up looking like a MR71 when I got done, worked without slipping or binding but took many hours of thought and about 4 tries to get it right.

Back
Top Bottom