bucket sub, with a twist

GuyK

Addicted Member
After pondering the Ed Schilling Bucket Sub for awhile, I think I've reached some conclusions as to why it seems to work, despite having only a cheap plastic bucket for a cabinet. I'm more and more thinking it is BECAUSE it has a 5gal. bucket for a cabinet. A tubular structure that is closed at both ends is exceptionally rigid. It is both round and tapered, reducing potential standing waves inside (no sides are parallel except the top and bottom. And the volume is reasonably close to optimum for the driver. Being comparatively inexpensive helps, too. But it does have a drawback; it's absolutely hideous! So, how to remedy this? Why, build a nicer bucket, of course. Here's what I came up with - a nonagonal, truncated pyramid of very nearly the same volume. 9 sides and tapered, a reasonable approximation of a truncated cone.

I first determined the areas of the ends of a real bucket, and then drew nonagons having the same areas (Autocad and the internet were a big help); the difference in OUTSIDE dimensions of the two nine sided figures is the amount of taper to be cut into the staves, with the lengths being that of the real bucket. Two can be built in an afternoon for the cost of 3 - 8' lengths of 1x6, and some plywood scraps for the ends. Milling materials is rather straight forward because we don't have to cut matching bevels on both edges with this method, and the glue up is actually dead simple since the pieces are self aligning. Clamping is easily accomplished with a couple strap-type clamps.

Here's how it's done. First, rip the staves to the outside dimension of the bottom nonagon. Cut to length. Next install a dado blade in the saw and tilt the arbor to 40° and adjust the height so that it makes a cut 0.625 " deep. My saw tilts left, so the fence is installed to the left of the blade for the next cut. Adjust the fence so the inside edge of the dado just grazes to bottom corner of the stock and cut a rabbet along ONE edge only. RE-install your rip blade set blade angle back to vertical. The end of the staves will be shaped like this, with the outside face on the bottom of the picture:

attachment.php

Now we can cut the taper along the uncut edge and assemble. The pieces go together like this:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• SW1.jpg
    SW1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 138
  • SW2.jpg
    SW2.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 37
  • SW4.jpg
    SW4.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 132
  • SW5.jpg
    SW5.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Continuing. The pieces will look like this in the clamps. Use two:

attachment.php

One has the option of rabbetting the top and bottom ends of the staves either before or after glue-up. If you choose before, you get to cut precise nonagons to fit. A PITA. If you choose after, it's not too difficult to fit a block and cut circles to fit with a router, and glue in the ends. If you flush mount the driver, make sure to cut that recess BEFORE cutting the entire opening. Sand and finish as you desire, add some binding posts and mount the driver. It's that simple.

This method of construction yields a very rigid structure, especially for such a short piece - the chines created are self re-inforcing. I've seen sailboat masts built this way.

I don't know if the result performs any better or worse than Mr. Schilling's design, but I think it looks a great deal better than an ugly plastic bucket, so for me this is success.

Two, in situ:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• SW6.jpg
    SW6.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 133
  • P7060808.jpg
    P7060808.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 132
  • P7060807.jpg
    P7060807.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Nice! If veneering, just veneer and trim the outside face of the pieces prior to gluing together.

Very cool, just needs a couple metal bands around it and your favorite beer label! :D
Introducing "The Barrel Sub"!

Come to think of it, that's something you could make as a DIY flatpack kit. :thmbsp::thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom