bucking magnets

ProAc_Fan

Addicted Member
I'm looking to shield a set of DIY MTM speakers that I built. 2 questions though. Do I need magnets for the tweeters too? The magnets are supposed to be attached with epoxy or superglue. Does that mean that the magnet is attched in reverse polarity to the woofer magnet? I'm assuming thats the case or you wouldn't even need glue as magnetism would hold the magnets together. Is that correct or am I making an incorrect assumption?

Mike

Your Bass-Akwards. Bucking Magnets have to be installed to cancel out the field of the driver. Place the magnet on top of the tweeter. it sticks. Now rotate the magnet till the two repel each other. That is where you want to attach the magnet.

How to do it. 5 min epoxy. driver,magnet, Books or other heavy object.

Mix epoxy. spread on driver. place magnet on epoxy turning to the most resistance. press and hold checking that it does not slide sidways. hold for 5+ min. place heavy object on bucking magnet. it will still try and move so you need to be on top of it. after about 15 min of this fun it should not move and let it sit overnight.

1/2 to 2/3 weight of the driver magnet for the bucking magnet is right. Do not worry about what the other drivers are doing. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Shields I've seen for TV speakers are nothing more than a metal cover, and these are often very near the tube itself. Easy to test, just wave it near an operating set but don't overdo it if you see some effects.

-Ed

Ed in SoDak said:
Shields I've seen for TV speakers are nothing more than a metal cover, and these are often very near the tube itself. Easy to test, just wave it near an operating set but don't overdo it if you see some effects.

-Ed

Ed trust me, the magnets on the 7" drivers I used are substantial. Unlike the puny speakers you find inside a TV. You can't put my speakers within 6 feet of a TV or monitor without causing picture troubles.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom