Buckwheat Pancakes...Yeast or No?

Todd Dodds

I don't always cook, but when I do, it involves buckwheat.
I made buckwheat pancakes ONE time, that were a yeast recipe that sat overnight. They came out a full inch thick, with both sides crispy, even as they sat on the plate drowned in a 50:50 blend of maple syrup/dark buckwheat honey.
Then I lost the recipe, and can't remember where it came from.
Subsequent batches have been lackluster, and I've only been able to eat maybe 8 or 10 cakes at a time.

My only New Year resolution is to start the year off right with a perfect buckwheat pancake. I'll be doing my research today, and mixing tonight.
But I would appreciate any suggestions. But please don't suggest buttermilk. A tall, cold glass of buttermilk goes down with the cakes, not in the cakes.

Yeast in a pancake? Never heard of that. Always baking soda. Try Hogsden Mills buckwheat pancake mix. My goto

I prefer a thin pancake over a thick one.

Normally, so do I. But the ones I made that single time were thick, but light and crispy. Thin buckwheats just get mushy too fast...the last half is just like eating gruel. (...not that gruel is all that bad with maple syrup :) )

they sat on the plate drowned in a 50:50 blend of maple syrup/dark buckwheat honey
Aw man, I love that combo! Raw buckwheat honey and maple syrup, the darker the better.
That's where all the flavor is. The less processing the better.

Back
Top Bottom