Budget minded setup - Need recommendations

amaraenzo

Hi all,

I need some feedback, comments and suggestions for the following keeping in mind that budget is key as I am renovating a 217 year old farmhouse and my wife is pregnant with our first child-ren (there’s a good chance we’re having twins. yay), so my “stupid speakers and music stuff” aren’t really high on the priority list right now. Yet I do enjoy better sounding systems.

So here’s what I have gathered over the past year:
- Gemini turntable: it’s a crappy entry level $200 DJ turntable but it does the job for now.
- Technics CD player I found for $10 at the Goodwill. I can’t tell whether it sounds good or not as I have not had a chance to compare it to another CD player.
- Yamaha XR V-1200 receiver. Got it for $50 on Craigslist because the "volume knob was not working properly". I took it apart and cleaned it well. All good now.
- 2 Marantz MA-500 I got on eBay for $300 shipped. I got those a month ago and like them so far. I am planning on replacing 6 of the capacitors in both of them (based on online research I’ve done).
- Jensen LS-6 I got for $30 at the Goodwill. High and middle sound mediocre and the bass is punchy when the volume is turned high but there’s nothing when the volume’s low. Low response is close to none. I know they’re pretty crappy but they’ll be great for my garage or to bring outside by the grill the summer time :).

So I am looking at upgrading my speakers (MUST be bookshelf, for 500 reasons - 499 of them are from my wife as you can imagine. BUT she’s letting me put my “music stuff” in our main room in the house so I can’t complain too much).

I am looking at either the Polk RTi3 or Elac Debut B6. Either of those were selected based on overall reviews I could find and price. I would add a Monoprice 12” ported sub to the system too (main reason for this model is an article on budget subs on the wirecutter website).

The room is 11’ x 24’ x 8' ceilings, with a wide opening into a 9’x 12’ room.

Just looking for feedback on what people would recommend for a $500 max budget on a pair of bookshelf speakers and a sub.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Anything Polk is a great idea in the price range you are talking about. We have two vintage systems in our bedroom (Kenwood KR 850 75 WPC and a Realistic STA-85 35 WPC) that I wanted a pair of easy to drive bookshelf speakers for. I bought a pair of Tsx 110bs for the Kenwood first (Clearance on eBay for $139, in cherry finish shipped, no tax) and was blown away by them. I bought another pair in black (factory blem for $69 a few days later) because they are so much bang for the buck. The original price on them was $299. If you can get them for anywhere near what I paid, they are a screaming deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-P...094031?hash=item3f6963e50f:g:SzQAAOSw9NdXvOSW

My apologies if you have already acquired the RTiA3's, but, based on my experience with my RTiA1's, I'd be trying the Elacs.

Anything Polk is a great idea in the price range you are talking about. We have two vintage systems in our bedroom (Kenwood KR 850 75 WPC and a Realistic STA-85 35 WPC) that I wanted a pair of easy to drive bookshelf speakers for. I bought a pair of Tsx 110bs for the Kenwood first (Clearance on eBay for $139, in cherry finish shipped, no tax) and was blown away by them. I bought another pair in black (factory blem for $69 a few days later) because they are so much bang for the buck. The original price on them was $299. If you can get them for anywhere near what I paid, they are a screaming deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-P...094031?hash=item3f6963e50f:g:SzQAAOSw9NdXvOSW

Thanks for the recommendations!

I sold off pretty much everything audio when my first was born (she's 20 now) because my focus was elsewhere, plus there wasn't time or money or room. Keeping the peace at home comes first, and that means compromise. However unobtrusive you can make your system, shoot for that.

Elac Debut B6 of Andrew Jones fame is a good choice ..
others ... I own the folloiwng
Wharfedale - Diamond 10.1
KEF Q100

I sold off pretty much everything audio when my first was born (she's 20 now) because my focus was elsewhere, plus there wasn't time or money or room. Keeping the peace at home comes first, and that means compromise. However unobtrusive you can make your system, shoot for that.

I hear you. Trying to compromise and make everybody happy within the household, wallets included :)
Are you thinking about putting your set-up back together or acquiring new equipment now that she's in her 20's?

Elac Debut B6 of Andrew Jones fame is a good choice ..
others ... I own the folloiwng
Wharfedale - Diamond 10.1
KEF Q100

Thanks, I found a local retailer who has them for the same price I found them for on Amazon. I believe they also carry Polk so I'll be paying them a visit soon to go listen to both pairs.

Thanks, I found a local retailer who has them for the same price I found them for on Amazon. I believe they also carry Polk so I'll be paying them a visit soon to go listen to both pairs.

Good plan to audition ... just keep in mind that speakers "play a room" ... every room is different. If possible ... audition at home in "your room".

Good plan to audition ... just keep in mind that speakers "play a room" ... every room is different. If possible ... audition at home in "your room".

Yeah I know they won't sound the same as they would in my house and with my equipment. I'll ask about testing them at home before buying!

Yeah I know they won't sound the same as they would in my house and with my equipment. I'll ask about testing them at home before buying!

I hear you. Trying to compromise and make everybody happy within the household, wallets included :)
Are you thinking about putting your set-up back together or acquiring new equipment now that she's in her 20's?
I've been back into it for a couple of years now. My focus is on speaker building, other components are minimal and unobtrusive. Even with three kids still at home, I sometimes get to flop on the couch and listen to an entire album!

i MUST recommend the ELACs. you can survive without a sub for quite a while and then get the ELAC $500 sub later when you are more flush with cash. believe me, you won't be sorry.

If you're willing to go used, Boston Acoustics CR series are my typical recommendation for bookshelf speakers on a budget. Very nice sounding bookshelf speakers that can be had cheaply these days.

Going used in general can give you more money to work with for the subwoofer.

Lots of good comments here. I've never heard them but I think if looking in that price range, I'd strongly consider the Elacs.

I have higher end speakers currently hooked up, but I have a pair of PSB Image 2Bs that I bought for just over $100 used and they are fantastic sounding and very lively speakers.

Good luck.

"Lookon audiogon for speakers or CL. better off buying something used"

not always true. the ELACs are so good at their price that it's worth paying list.

Back
Top Bottom