budget power cables - what to look for?

Irregardless of make or model to include how much your paying.....

Shielded Oxygen Free Copper ! The ends should be soldered on and not be some alloyed compositite that acts like a resister !!!

Interesting. So can you give us some recommendations for power cables with soldered ends? The cheapest one I can see is the ESP Music Cord for $150. If Pangea, Signal or Cullen solder the ends, they don't mention anything on their websites.

For my Jadis Defy 7, I use a DH Labs Red Wave, but for other amps I have I use their Power Plus.
Both can handle a ton of current. My understanding is that the Red Wave has been replaced by a cable called, I believe
the Corona. But the Power Plus is still around. Mine have Wattgate connectors on them. I believe that is all that company
uses to terminate their cables. I got my cables as demos for well under the usual retail prices.
I looked up the Wattgate connectors and they are quite expensive them selves. I have yet to have an issue
with one of my power cables or the connectors. No corrosion or cracking issues like I have had with lesser cables in
the past.

My understanding is that the Red Wave has been replaced by a cable called, I believe
the Corona. But the Power Plus is still around.
They are all still around, actually, although the Corona is not listed as being available in bulk. The Corona is shown as the top of the line cable, with the Red Wave just beneath it.

I am looking into bulk cable from a few manufacturers before I make my own. And, looking for power connectors that are made with copper, not brass. That is a future project of mine for the spring.

Know that one kind of power cord will not work on all of your components. Cords that are great on amps... not so good on DACs. Tubes need different cords than solid state. Lastly, price means very little. Component matching is far more important than expensive.

Good listening...

Back
Top Bottom