Budget Replacement Stylus for Shure M97xe

BamaRolls

What is a decent replacement stylus for the Shure M97xe? The original stylus is jacked up and I'm not quite ready to drop another $60 for the stock replacement. I just need something to get me through until my daughter finishes college (college expenses are killin' me!).

Thanks, folks!

As mentioned above, the M77xE body will accept styli from many other Shure carts. There are literally dozens of styli out there that will fit. Preferably, you should look for an elliptical or line contact stylus. Do a quick Google search and you also will find dozens of vendors with a lot of compatible options.

There's a little gap in the front there. You can see that if you clip a little bit of that raised edge on the red plastic, it will fit tighter.

I did notice that but didn't think it was an issue until now. Comparing the stylus overhang of the N97xE with the N92E, the 92 is definitely a bit longer, so trimming it would position the tip where it should be. Good call.

What makes you think it's just a cheep knockoff? It's the same as the "VIVIDLINE" with an elliptical tip.

Just a hunch, it is a knock-off and it is cheap...

What makes you think it's better than the original?

Last edited:
The OP is looking for a cheap replacement stylus for the M97xE cartridge because he doesn't want to spend $60.00 for an original.

How much is the VL?
You are missing my point. You are getting the same quality as the VIVIDLINE but with an elliptical tip for 39.95.

My point is that you are paying for a lot of fluff with a cheap after-market N97xE. They have cheaper suspensions, cheaper magnets and last but not least, cheaper stabilizing brushes. It's anybodies guess how well the tip is positioned or polished.

When it comes to low-end styli, you'll get better performance for your money if you go with a medium compliance conical.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I get it. The point is that for $20.00 more, he could get an original, so why settle for a cheap knock-off?
The original IMHO isn't so great. That is why a lot of folks don't like the M97xE. No, you don't get it. I believe that the 39.95 lpgear version is better with the exception of the brush.

Back
Top Bottom