Budget stereo/2 channel power amp recommendation

kbuzz

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Can someone recommend a budget sleeper no frills two Chanel amp. I need something for a third system to pair with some tube preamps. Need about 30 watts or higher for about $300. Used vintage tripath Class d -doesn’t matter but never like the sound of adcom.

Did any of the Japanese 70-80s era make a decent straight power amp?

Not sure I could find an old AVA or carver for this budget

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
You say you don't like Adcom... Then ask about Adcom.

Confused.

I'd never recommend Carver, much less one to be found for $300 or less.

30+ watts should be easy enough though. Maybe NAD?

How about a pro amp? Ashly SRA-120, Crown D-60/D-75, etc...

Audiosource AMP-100 sells cheap, and is a worthy little amplifier.

Used, if you can be patient enough to wait for one to show up on eBay etc. I now have two, schveetest little amp I've ever heard, very tube like.

fd2aa93d76dcfeabaabf88eb455aceeb (1).jpg

As for Carver amplifiers, I've owned/own several and no complaints. Lots of power for the money, sound fine, great reliability, mine are still running 27yrs on. The TFM 15cb can be bridged for 300watts, I use one this way to power my center channel in the HT setup.

Last edited:
I just bought and restored a NAD 214. 80W/CH, post-Power Envelope era (manufactured 1995-2000). Beautiful, smooth sound and very nice build quality.

Can someone recommend a budget sleeper no frills two Chanel amp.

Thanks in advance

Absolutely!!!, In some cases much more then decent think Sansui, Luxman, Denon, etc depending where you are and or where you'll be shopping you might be able to find something right around the $300 you mention

There's a Proton D540 on ebay right now, no bids yet, starting at $100 or best offer.

If you just need a power amp the Emotiva A-100 is 50 wpc in to 8 ohms, 80 wpc in to 4 for $230. The A-150 is 75 in to 8 for $300. The TA-100 is basically an A-100 + Pre/DAC/tuner/phono stage for $400.

Can probably find them for less used.

A-100 can also be used as a (very) high power headphone amp by swapping a couple internal jumpers.

Can someone recommend a budget sleeper no frills two Chanel amp. I need something for a third system to pair with some tube preamps. Need about 30 watts or higher for about $300. Used vintage tripath Class d -doesn’t matter but never like the sound of adcom.

Not sure I could find an old AVA or carver for this budget

Thanks in advance

Crown D 75A is a nice choice. Reliable as an anvil, sounds very excellent. No fans. Around 40 watts/channel. The early USA built versions the best. Or a nice D 75. For your price you could even afford two if you get a deal.

Yamaha M-4

It might need recapped, new relays and some bulbs. By the time you get one running sweet it may be a little over your budget but these amps are well worth it. Built like a brick house, easy to work on, and once checked over, are very reliable. They also have an enjoyable listening quality.

Last edited:
If you are looking for new I like the Dayton Audio APA150 150W Power Amp. I have owned a couple for many years and love their versatility and simplicity. I have used a pair of them individually, bridged to Mono and to Bi-Amp speakers. I also like the auto on function.

I ran a Hafler DH-220 on and off over five years and absolutely no complaints about how it sounded. The speakers it drove were Infinity Kappa 7.1i and it handled them effortlessly. More power on tap than I needed. Not too hard to come by, relatively cheap (at least those I've seen advertised) and modification potential if one wants to go that route.

A DH-200 is an earlier, slightly less powerful version (100 vs 110 watts) and is as far as I know, fundamentally the same amplifier.

For 300 bills I probably could get another Luxman M-117, great amp. Parasound amps are also very good for the money and fit the budget.

How about a pro amp? Ashly SRA-120, Crown D-60/D-75, etc...

Audiosource AMP-100 sells cheap, and is a worthy little amplifier.

thanks for the reply. do you happen to know if the audiosource is an integrated ...seems it has volume controls

Back
Top Bottom