Budget upgrade for a room - start with cables/interconnects?

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by idan182, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Mister Pig

Mister Pig Pigamus Maximus Subscriber

Funny, I heard the highest profit margin for any accessory sale was the Extended Warranty. Cables are even better than that huh?

Regards
    Mister Pig

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Mister Pig

Mister Pig Pigamus Maximus Subscriber

I would agree that speaker placement is the first place to start to improve sound quality. Get the speakers properly placed, and make sure the listening area is well situated also.

Personally I would think about upgrading speakers. It's a bit hard to tell, but has that midrange suffered from a pushed in dust cap?

As far as wire goes, I wouldn't get crazy with it. I believe Ghent cables builds their offering from Canare. Blue Jeans Audio uses Belden wire. Either one of those should be sufficient with this system. Actually there is an Ebay store called Vintage Audio Labs that has some interesting offerings, but are a bit more expensive than the other two. But worth considering.

Regards
    Mister Pig

3. c.coyle

c.coyle Fighting the Dunning-Kruger Effect Subscriber

Yup. Easiest way to make a noticeable improvement.

unfairlane likes this.
  4. bimasta

bimasta Super Member

We seem to have a rare consensus — speakers. First, raise and position them properly — let the music out! — and you'll hear a world of difference. Next, and this is a personal matter, I don't like Jamo. Heard 3 or 4 models over the years, all sounded dead to me. You can find better speakers used on CL, yard sales or GW, for under $75. Any number of brands will bring another world of difference. Then you can you can work on fine tuning (yes, that switchbox is not raising quality). Unless your cables are total crap, investing $$$ there won't be worthwhile...

Wildcat likes this.
  5. techguy0192

techguy0192 AK Subscriber Subscriber

IMO cable tweaks should be last. First focus on room treatments and speaker positioning.

Bigboi33 and Wildcat like this.
  6. Bigboi33

Bigboi33 AK Subscriber Subscriber

^ This right here. +1!

Search on the listening spaces section on the forum and try to learn as much as you can about room treatment. This is by far this biggest "bang for the buck" in my opinion. Killing of first reflections and reducing peaks should be at the top of everyone's list.

7. Bubbalouie

Bubbalouie Active Member

Cables and interconnects were the last change I made in my system.

Power Cords
    For my integrated amps I bought the Pangea AC-9.
    For the sources I bought the Pangea AC14
    There are upgrades available, but I went with the first iteration on both.
    Speaker Cables
    For speaker cables I bought the AudioQuest Type 8 No Frills.

Check Audio Advisor, this is where I purchased the above items, and I do like the sound of my system as it is.

8. Mamrak1

Mamrak1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

You are starting from the wrong end of things, in my view. Any of those components could stand to be upgraded. Cable upgrades are the least of your problems, whether a dealer hand delivers them to your door or not. A few posters have said that new cables won't solve much. I would listen to them.

Mojo Warrior and stoutblock like this.
  9. Mojo Warrior

Mojo Warrior Reality Star

Your largest improvements would be in changing your transducers.

Transducers are the items that convert mechanical energy into electrical signals and vice versa.

i.e. phono cartridge and speakers. Electronics are notoriously linear and highly accurate.

c.coyle likes this.
  10. Mojo Warrior

Mojo Warrior Reality Star

Well after 50 years of being involved in this hobby, I can make a couple observations.

1) Prior to any experimentation, clean all your contact points.
    2) Coming from a rigorous science background, do all testing in a double blind fashion, to remove bias.
    3) Trust your ears, if the sound improvements are not obvious, they probably don't exist.
    4) Remember "The Law of Diminishing Returns".

The biggest pitfall is the "price is no object" opinion. People who are wealthy, inherently assume that their hearing is better. (They are also better looking in the mirror, smarter, more successful and are much more attractive to the opposite sex) They have the cash to throw back at the marketing departments who are happy to exploit them.

c.coyle likes this.
  11. shelly_d

shelly_d Not An Audiophool

I'm not as experienced as Mojo Warrior, I started only 49 years ago, but all these points are very well taken, especally that last sentence.

Shelly_D

BTW:

:rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::thumbsup:

12. Mamrak1

Mamrak1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

It's been said elsewhere. Cabling should be looked at as icing on the cake. It should finish off your system. All the chocolate frosting in the world won't help if the cake itself is burnt.