Budget vintage speakers?

Tommarc

I'd like to get some inexpensive speakers to go with my vintage Kenwood 3500 and AR-XA turntable (the vintage thing is a bit addicting!).
Looking at a pair of RTR EXP-8 for $80 and also Akai SW-120A for $50.
Haven't been able to get much intel on these. Some are calling them good but "under the radar". I like the idea of a hidden bargain. Thoughts, anyone?

I'm not much for many Japanese speakers. Those RTR are at the top of their valuation, 160/pr new in late 70s. Depending on where you are, you could do a whole lot better than those choices or maybe that is the cream of the crop. I'd keep looking unless one of these has the sound quality you want.

I'm not much for many Japanese speakers. Those RTR are at the top of their valuation, 160/pr new in late 70s. Depending on where you are, you could do a whole lot better than those choices or maybe that is the cream of the crop. I'd keep looking unless one of these has the sound quality you want.
Thanks. Any particular brands/models to look for?

The best bargain in the vintage speaker market are the Boston Acoustic "A" series. I would look for the A150's, they go for about $150 but can be had for half of that needing surrounds. The A70 can be found cheap as well. Doing a refoam is not that difficult on these models, and you will have about $25 in parts. Another bargain would be the Polk Monitor model 7 or 10.

If you can do basic soldering and repairs, there are countless choices to be had of under $100. I tend towards the "New England Sound". I also happen to live just outside of Boston, so I have scored a few pairs of ARs and KLHs for less than $50 to free.

The best bargain in the vintage speaker market are the Boston Acoustic "A" series. I would look for the A150's, they go for about $150 but can be had for half of that needing surrounds. The A70 can be found cheap as well. Doing a refoam is not that difficult on these models, and you will have about $25 in parts. Another bargain would be the Polk Monitor model 7 or 10.
Thanks!

I'd like to get some inexpensive speakers to go with my vintage Kenwood 3500 and AR-XA turntable (the vintage thing is a bit addicting!).
Looking at a pair of RTR EXP-8 for $80 and also Akai SW-120A for $50.
Haven't been able to get much intel on these. Some are calling them good but "under the radar". I like the idea of a hidden bargain. Thoughts, anyone?

It would help if you told us your location, or better yet, include it in your profile. Price and availability vary somewhat by location.

EPI 100's are great little speakers which shouldn't be hard to find at a good price.
Start right here!!! Look no further. I got my pair for $25 10-12 years ago. There were just about my very first vintage audio CL acquisition.
Could maybe have been the best $25 I've spent in this hobby, ever.

Just google EPI or Epicure "M100", to see the myriad posts here and on just about every other audio/music forum. For more info and appreciation of this venerable but inexpensive audio marvel

Just be sure to get a pair made before circa 1980/81, with the original masonite tweeter.
A pristine, restored pair should set you back no more than $150 tops, even if you must resort to ebay to get a pair.

Last edited:
Well, I see all my picks are covered, I would also say KLH Five, Six or Twenty Three, EPI M100, AR-3(anything) or -4(anything) although the latter you kind of have to get lucky on.

Also keep an eyeball out for Rectilinear IIIs, either normal or "lowboy" the former being preferred if you have a choice as they take up less floor space (they are big!) I have a pair of lowboys that just edge out my Twenty Threes on bass response - and yes, all are recapped and the KLHs are properly redoped and the woofers "ooze" back on a push test. Still very nice and I'd be happy with them without the Rectilinears in my life.

What's your size vs. bass response desire? Speakers listed in ascending size would be EPI, AR-4, (not sure about the exact order of the first two) AR-3, all the KLHs, then finally the Rectilinears. AR-3, Rectilinear will dig deepest. AR-3s go for big bucks so if you find a working pair in your budget grab them, you will not lose money, but I figured I'd throw that in the mix because they are not huge and don't look like much unless you know what you're looking at - unfortunately a lot of people do.

My first thought too, A60 - A150 fits the bill perfectly.

What year is your Kenwood? Early to mid-70s?

Some of the Realistic speakers might still be hidden bargains. I have a pair of Nova 7B that come really close to some of the KLH speakers mentioned. Plus, they would look awesome with the Kenwood.

Add the M5 to that too.

Eric

Polk Monitors or Boston A series speakers are by far the best bang for the buck. The shop I work at has had a pair of A70s, A100s and A150s and they all sounded amazing, very clear and detailed with tight, punchy bass. I personally have had almost all the Polk Monitor series speakers and they are also amazing, very clear and detailed with a little more bass than the Boston A series. You can't go wrong either way.

Edit: Whoops, we probably shouldn't say this too loud, the prices might go up...:p

Pierre gives good advice.
The nicer Realistics are terrific and with a few exceptions can be had for a few $10.
I have some Optimus 5Bs (also tagged Nova 8B, i believe).
They are really good, beautifully finished, and they seem to be plentiful.

Pierre gives good advice.
The nicer Realistics are terrific and with a few exceptions can be had for a few $10.
I have some Optimus 5Bs (also tagged Nova 8B, i believe).
They are really good, beautifully finished, and they seem to be plentiful.

The veneer on my Nova 7Bs rivals that on the KLH and AR speakers I have. They really are beautiful speakers.

You have been given a lot of good brands and models to choose from and your local thrift stores and Craigslist should be a great resource for finding and sampling a variety of good vintage speakers.

Where are you?

Let us know and we can cruise Craigslist for you and see what's available in your area.

Thanks

Eric

Back
Top Bottom