Buffing up an polyurethane coating (I think) on ebony veneer (Yamaha YP-D8)

Mr. Yamaha

Not so much Yamaha lately...
Hi there, I have a question. I have a Yamaha YP-D8 turnrable which has a beautiful ebony veneer on the cabinet. Actually the exact same veneer as the NS-1000 (home edition) speakers. I know the NS-1000 has a polyurethane coating on that veneer, but I'm not sure that the turntable has the same coating.

Now, the coating on my turnrable is pretty dull and has a few even duller stains. I would like to make it shine again. I've read on the net that you can buff up a polyurethane coating with polish wax for cars, but before I ruin this table, I would try to figure out whether this is indeed a polyurethane coating.

The marketing brochure says this about the veneer:

upload_2017-8-1_11-45-58.png

This is how the finish should look (kind of satin shine):

upload_2017-8-1_11-49-28.png

This is how mine looks (I know, it's not an ideal photo, it's hard to capture the dullness):

upload_2017-8-1_12-25-24.png

Any idea how to go forward with this?

try a good rated lemon oil polish. Your OP diagram says 'open pore' could be clogged up with old polish or something. Just do a q tip test dip etc. might just need cleaning and apply a thin coat of tung oil or said equivalent but lemon oil is accepted for decades.

try a good rated lemon oil polish. Your OP diagram says 'open pore' could be clogged up with old polish or something. Just do a q tip test dip etc. might just need cleaning and apply a thin coat of tung oil or said equivalent but lemon oil is accepted for decades.
Thanks, I'll give that a try!

IMO paste wax was fine for old oak floors. Not for ebony or similar like rosewood in density.

I guess it was a polyurethane coating after all. The lemon oil did nothing unfortunately. Then I went for another approach: I tested at the back of the turntable with a q tip (thx for the tip) and Turtle wax metal polish and it began to shine. So I removed all parts and completely buffed up the cabinet with the Turtle wax metal polish. It's pretty glossy now, but I like it :D

IMG_6393.JPG IMG_6395.JPG IMG_6400.JPG IMG_6401.JPG IMG_6404.JPG

Looks great!

I would not be surprised the orig finish is acrylic factory sprayed on clear. electric guitar finishes near alike. chrome polish does have a polish but also a very very fine grit but polish none the less.

Back
Top Bottom