Building a lathe so I can make wood horns

Tomorrow is the big day. After I mail off stuff sold on the bay then clean the shop, I will turn my first piece on the lathe. It's been a long time coming.

Thanks D. I have the manual for the model I have and it does not talk about static charge. This is good data.

Tomorrow... I will turn my first piece on the lathe. It's been a long time coming.

And????

As for static and wood dust, I mentioned in a thread about vacuuming electronics that I can get static sparks a couple inches long when using the shop vac to clean the wood dust off the bandsaw and bench sander. Never really thought about it being a fire hazard, but you can tell it'd pack a whollop if it got ahold of you.

Well, a couple hours before I was going to start my first project, I read a paper about dust collection that really freaked me out. Basically, the modern "dust collection" systems for the home hobbist, are really just shop vacs. They pick up all the chips and dust, but when it comes to the dust that is so small it will damage your lungs, the DC just blow that back out into the shop through the bags.

So, I took a couple days and did a proper installation of the DC system. I finished that today and started my first piece. This will be a ball to work with. If I wasn't so tired, I'd still be out there making chips.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 190
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I think you could save all those wood chipis and put in a wood stove for the winter . Maybe you should wear some sort of mask to nip the wood dust in the bud .

I will paint it with Anchor Seal and put it on the shelve for a year. Before I paint it, I drill out the center pith and that stops the cracking in the center, then when I turn it after it is dry, I'll plug the hole.

I am seriously impressed with your "go for it - get 'er done attitude".
Finds it - jumps on it - goes and gets it - sets it up and is using it - after finding the DC system and installing that - just very impressed.
Sadly it is something that wasn't taught very well to my generation....

attachment.php

looks like my bathroom after I shave.:D

Lookin Good Dennis! :thmbsp:

I went up north Michigan this past weekend for 2 days and ended up spending 2 extra days stuck in a motel while my car got repaired. I could have been turning!!!

Back
Top Bottom