Building a Vintage Yamaha System - Advice, Opinions & Pot Shots Requested

Tuners: T-1 AM/FM, T-2 FM with digital readout and dial, CT-7000 FM only
Amps: B-2, B-1 or B-2x
Preamps: C-2x or the C-2x (no other options :smoke: )

I also like the Yamaha A-1 Integrated amp.

Hey, if we're looking at tuners to pick, and want to stay in the 2's, why not a T-2x? It's a nice match for the C-2x (and B-2x)...:yes:

Attachments

• DSC_7076 small.jpg
    DSC_7076 small.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC_7084 small.jpg
    DSC_7084 small.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 221
Hey, if we're looking at tuners to pick, and want to stay in the 2's, why not a T-2x? It's a nice match for the C-2x (and B-2x)...:yes:

I've never seen a T-2x before. It looks a lot like a T-85. They must be pretty rare, where did you find yours?

Having never heard of that one or seen reference to it on fmtuner.com, I checked it out a little.

This thread alludes it to be a Japanese only T-80-like product with a different freq range than US. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47297

I also tripped across a thread here on AK where you show you have one? Can you confirm the above info, that the freq range is 76-92MHz instead of 88-108Mhz?
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=170730

Tuners: T-1 AM/FM, T-2 FM with digital readout and dial, CT-7000 FM only
Amps: B-2, B-1 or B-2x
Preamps: C-2x or the C-2x (no other options :smoke: )

huh?

rack-v2a.jpg

I like to throw the T-2x out there, since it is so unknown. Makes me feel like Mark B for a second, having all the coolest gear.:D

Nope, the T-2x was bound for US. Std tuning freqs. It's based off the T-85, which is already held in high regard with DX'ers and tweakers. It's got added goodies from the get-go, but for all practical purposes funtions the same as the T-85.

Gregor (Asha) also has one. I believe his was the FM monitor from a local radio station. Yup, pretty good stuff. My CT-7k is sexier with the flywheel knob, and clean face, and has better lows. But the T-2x is no slouch. It bettered my T-1 and T-2. Although they are both quite nice as well.

Honestly, I'm so disappointed with the compressed FM these days, I don't know how much it really matters. I don't listen to classical, and most all other stations are average at best (IMHO).

I do love having the presets on the T-2x. Not as sexy, but far more friendly. And AM to boot. But yes, good luck finding one. I think I've got one-up on Mark B, at least for the time being!:thmbsp:

I do have a bunch of nudies if anyone here is a tuner tweaker. I don't know tuner internals at all, so I can't tell you what I'm looking at. Maybe if PunkerX was here...

I like to throw the T-2x out there, since it is so unknown. Makes me feel like Mark B for a second, having all the coolest gear.:D

Nope, the T-2x was bound for US. Std tuning freqs. It's based off the T-85, which is already held in high regard with DX'ers and tweakers. It's got added goodies from the get-go, but for all practical purposes funtions the same as the T-85.

Gregor (Asha) also has one. I believe his was the FM monitor from a local radio station. Yup, pretty good stuff. My CT-7k is sexier with the flywheel knob, and clean face, and has better lows. But the T-2x is no slouch. It bettered my T-1 and T-2. Although they are both quite nice as well.

Honestly, I'm so disappointed with the compressed FM these days, I don't know how much it really matters. I don't listen to classical, and most all other stations are average at best (IMHO).

I do love having the presets on the T-2x. Not as sexy, but far more friendly. And AM to boot. But yes, good luck finding one. I think I've got one-up on Mark B, at least for the time being!:thmbsp:

I do have a bunch of nudies if anyone here is a tuner tweaker. I don't know tuner internals at all, so I can't tell you what I'm looking at. Maybe if PunkerX was here...
You are indeed! :D

Here's a link to a review of the Yamaha M-2 in the German audio magazine HiFi.

Interesting article (I wish I spoke German). That M-2 sure represents TopART to me :D Everyone, be sure to check out all 4 articles from this link (M-2, M-2 comparison, C-2a, C-2a comparison).

the T-2x was bound for US. Std tuning freqs. It's based off the T-85, which is already held in high regard with DX'ers and tweakers. It's got added goodies from the get-go, but for all practical purposes funtions the same as the T-85.

I can't say about the inside but the outside is clearly of the T-80, the T-85 has a slitly different layout where the 2 most clear signs are the doubble amount of presets and the long IF mode button. I have bough the T-80 and 85, so if you send me some of the nakeds you have of the T-2x I will take a look (I PM you my e-mail).

Thanks for all the input. I'm now sure the path I've selected to a vintage Yamaha system is the right one for me.

The M-2 was tempting until I found out that it was not a VFET. I also incorrectly assumed that is was mono, the M threw me off.

Had originally given the B-2x and C-2x consideration, but once again the VFET came into play and the xes give me an "upgrade" path should I eventually be tempted to go that route.

Will hold out as long as I can for a PX-2. Will only go for a PX-3 if the 2 is unobtainable at a reasonable price after a year or two of searching.

Just found the C-2a and T-2 at a reasonable price and picked them up. Man is the C-2a heavy, quite a deluxe case. It runs nicely warm for a SS unit.

Congrats on the 2 "new" units, but do consider to get a PX-3 and use it until you get hold of a PX-2. If the price of the PX-3 is ok, you will get most (or all) of it back when reselling. That way you also get a feel for this kind of tt's and some really nice music on the way.

A New Direction

Over a year has passed and have not added anything new to the Yamaha "2" project. Reasons why include: 1) never made it to the top 3 of my priority list, 2) had a VFET amp (Sony 8550) for at least 5 years back-in-the-day so have had the VFET experience, 3) already have a nice DD LT TT (Pioneer PL-L1000) and 4) I’ve come up with a new Yamaha project to pursue that strikes me as more fun. The "2" project did have a positive benefit, the T-2 tuner. This has got to be one of the biggest bang-for-the-buck tuners out there, if you luck into a good one. Would never have tried the T-2 if not for this project.

The new Yamaha project is focused on getting an amp/preamp combo and comparing it with my late 80s American SS rig: BEL 1001 and Klyne SK-5A. To keep things on a level playing field I'm looking to get a Yamaha rig from the same era that costs the same now as the BEL/Klyne rig. My initial inclination it to pair a MX-2000 (also will satisfy my unfulfilled urge for big meters) with a C-2x. This combo has the benefit of costing right about what the BEL/Klyne cost me. Then I thought, always a dangerous activity (fire hazard and such), what about a CX-2000 instead, which would give me a matching pair.

My first question is how do the C-2x and CX-2000 compare sonically? I've read on AK many times what a killer unit the C-2x is, what about the CX-2000? Pretty sure the CX-2000 would cost me a bit more.

Following the matching pair thought, would the M-2 or B-2x be the C-2x's mate? I'd loose the meters, but save some bucks. However, everything I've read says the MX-2000 amp is killer and to compete with the BEL it would have to be.

Looking forward to your input. :yes:

CX-2000 is same same internally as the CX-1000. Having both the C-2a and CX-1000, I'd have to give it to the C-2a, so likely the C-2x will win out there.

The MX-2000 is one sweet sounding amp and paired with a C-2x I can only imagine how great the combo would be. I run my CX-1000/MX-2000 combo and it's smoother, cleaner, and more detailed than any of the other Yamaha amps. It doesn't have the huge power some others do, but wins out with a measly 135WPC mosfet HCA. Sitting 5-6 feet from my JBL L112's, I rarely have to drive it up over 50WPC RMS avg and that's a push tolerating the volume for anything other than one favorite song per day.

IMHO, if you're going for sonics, the C-2x/MX-2000 combo is going to be hard to beat, if convenience and looks are desired, the CX-2000/MX-2000 is the way to go unless you trip across the CX-10000/MX-10000 combo at anything less than $8k for the pair.

I believe the matching amp for the C-2x was the B-2x, though it's predecessor the C-2a was for a time mated to the either the B-2x (early) or M-2.

Thanks brutal.

Sounds like my initial combo might be my best route. Encouraging to hear your good results with the MX-2000/C-2a combo since I'm already halfway there, at least in components. Not worried about the MX-2000 power rating given that the BEL is 50WPC, although it's pure unadulterated class A.

IMHO, if you're going for sonics, the C-2x/MX-2000 combo is going to be hard to beat

Gotta agree there - I'm running my recently acquired MX-2000 (thx to brutal) with a C-2x and am enjoying it a great deal.

I've also ran a B-2 and a B-2x with my C-2x. I did a blind test with those two and the B-2 won out. I *think* the B-2 would also take the MX-2000 but certainly not in the looks category.

Back
Top Bottom