Building a Vintage Yamaha System - Advice, Opinions & Pot Shots Requested

I also run my MX-2000 with a C-2x, when I don't run the CD-P direct into the MX-2000. I also have the CX-1000, but find the C-2x better especially for vinyl. I would like to have a CX-2000 to mach the MX, but it's a bit down the list.

As brutal sayes, the B-2x/C-2x was the org. combo, the C-2a came around the M-2.

... I *think* the B-2 would also take the MX-2000 but certainly not in the looks category.

This is an interesting development. If the B-2 is as good as or better than the MX-2000 my comparison idea may be moot. Back in the late 80s I took my BEL 1001 (not the one I currently have) over to an audio buddy's place for a comparison. We concurred that the BEL was clearly better, not that the Yamaha didn't sound great in and of itself. However, even given this I still want to try a killer Yamaha amp, and who knows - might just get a different result now. A new thread may be in the offing - Which is "Best" Yamaha B-2 or MX-2000, considering the price to play with a B-2 would be significantly lower and allow other audio acquisitions (too many wants not enough money).

Last edited:
ADVICE, OPIONS, and POT SHOTS REQUESTED

Pot Shot: Well, err,not going there:nono:

Opinions: Yup:scratch2:

Advice: When this system is assembled it will be more than a stereo, it will be a collector’s piece. I would break away from the vintage, associated gear. Strive for a sturdy component stand, a sound well proven base for the turntable, quality cables, strong speaker stands and last but most important, the best cartridge your pocket book can purchase. Push this system to its limits and enjoy:music:

How about a TX-2000, it would bridge the gap between the "2" components and the NS-1000 speakers (it has a "2" and three zeros in it)...and it is a most excellent tuner as well :D

The GT-2000 (/L/X) would do that just as well! :D

For whatever it's worth, I can confirm that the B-2 and NS-1000 combination is very sweet, indeed. :music: :yes: A little-known (or else just seldom-mentioned) fact is that the B-2's internal wiring is all SILVER, not copper. Only a large plate is copper, not any of the wires. They even used silver-based solder to connect those wires. Hard to find another major-brand commercial unit that can make that statement.

The other thing I'd suggest is that if you still want to with a Yamaha system, you might consider moving up from the PX-2 to the GT-2000 (read what Theophile said in his posts when he made exactly that upgrade, if you are hesitating), and are not stuck on the "2" thing too much, for an amp it's hard to beat the 101M in a Yamaha, although Mark B has said he somewhat prefers the sound of his (lower-powered) MX-10000 to that of the 101M. Get these units at the ends of your gear chain and you'll be playing with the same kind of gear that Mark B does ...and who knows Yamaha better? (I'm not sure what brutal has these days, but I'd bet he'd support these as good choices, too.)

[I know these amps and things are near-unobtanium in most areas, but they can be found in Japan, or even in Hong Kong (if you know whom to ask).]

The B-2 is old(circa 1977).
It's build quality must be something special to withstand the ravages of time and hold up to "newer" models like the MX-2000.

Back
Top Bottom