Building another M-4

stoutblock those latest pics show the M-4 better than new. It was the right decision to add those Vampire posts.
keep us posted on how #7 runs.

Well considering these posts cost nearly as much as the amp itself, I would hope they were the right decision!

Posts look nice.

Thanks Dave, I think you have used the Vampire's on a few of your builds?

Well considering these posts cost nearly as much as the amp itself, I would hope they were the right decision!

Thanks Dave, I think you have used the Vampire's on a few of your builds?
They are pricey pieces. I think I used them one time on and M-4.

As Chris mentioned I am building amp #7 now. I mentioned I have another M-4 that is near perfect in every way but the improved performance on #6 has made me decide to go for it on this amp also.

#7 is the same exact build as #6 except I'm using the new Audio Note Kaisei Bi-Polar caps in C401 and C402 rather than the Elna Silmic II. I think the Silmic sound great, and maybe even better than the Nichicon FG I have used here in the past but with only a few hours listening I think I may like these new Audio Note Kaisei even better.

http://www.audionote.co.uk/comp/cap_electro.shtml

IMG_0345 (net).jpg

Both amps need more time before I reach final conclusions.

Last edited:
Excuse me for bringing up the older thread. But what kind of RCA jacks did you use. I'm planning on giving my recapped M4 the same treatment as you did yours. (New relays,jacks,IEC inlets,terminals and the bracket mod) since i used the same KG's as you.

Excuse me for bringing up the older thread. But what kind of RCA jacks did you use. I'm planning on giving my recapped M4 the same treatment as you did yours. (New relays,jacks,IEC inlets,terminals and the bracket mod) since i used the same KG's as you.

Don't think anyone is going to complain about having to view those lovely resto pics once more. ;)

From looking at the pics, my guess is Rean/Neutrik RCAs. They're nice.

Probably Vampirewire as well.

Probably Vampirewire as well.

I don't have those here. Is it similar to these?

2vtqkpk.jpg

I don't have those here. Is it similar to these?

2vtqkpk.jpg

As long as they are a modern RCA jack which are better than the older style IMHO. At least they fit modern RCA connectors better. I typically buy the the kind that have the thread on the outside so you can insert them from behind. Just easier for soldering and installation.

Alright. Can you show me the type you are using? And the IEC inlet, did you use a Dremel or something like that to make the cutout for the inlet?

Alright. Can you show me the type you are using? And the IEC inlet, did you use a Dremel or something like that to make the cutout for the inlet?

Here is what I used.

https://www.thecableco.com/ac-inlet-r-iec-inlet.html

https://www.thecableco.com/vampire-wires-cm2f-chassis-mount-rca-female-set-of-2.html

I use a drill press to drill the corners of the hole for the IEC inlet and then use the small cutoff wheel on a dremel tool. The best location varies depending on which model M-4 you have. It gets a little tight with the selectable voltage version. Use masking tape to protect the area to be worked. Make sure to use safety glasses!

For the RCAs, I remove the old ones from the small board. Install the new connectors to the back panel, reinstall the small board and then solder a small wire (I use solid silver) to reconnect the small board to the RCAs. With the external nuts, you can then remove the board with the RCA connectors still intact. This is not possible with the internal nut versions.

Back
Top Bottom