Building crossover help

ShaheenJ

Hi DIY'ers
I want to build a passive crossover for a headphone that only allows 5,000 - 11,000 HTZ to pass to it. I want to cancel 20-4,999 htz and 11,001 - 22k htz. I realize it will sound terrible but its for a science experiment not for listening to music. Is this possible and if so what would the values of the parts be to put the crossover together?

Thanks
Shaheen

You don't say what "order" the "crossover" should be, kind of
suggests that you don't understand the question, just looking
for a quick answer.

There are many tools online that you can download, tinker with
and learn, for example Jeff Bagby's Passive Crossover Designer.
It's xl based, others will chime in with other tools, as good/better.

Shaheen,
So I'll throw some stuff at the wall for you, don't know if it'll stick. First off, I have no idea/experience about headphone speakers...are they 32 ohm, 16 ohm, godonlyknows, and what will the XO components will do to a head phone speaker. Any chance your science will work with a regular speaker/driver? An old computer speaker or look at Parts Express Deals...lots of full range cheapos made for TVs <$2 + $7 for shipping.

Anyway, using a midrange driver for modeling (instead of the headphone speaker), here's a start using 2nd order filters (2 components per filter);
For the High Pass filter (blocks the low end) how 'bout a 5 uF Capacitor in series with a 0.22 mH Coil shunt, and for the
Low Pass maybe a 0.075 mH Coil in series with a 5 uF Cap shunt.

Two comments; 1) the component values are almost certainly wrong - can't imagine how they'll work with a headphone, and 2) when the XO is working it will not make a sharp cutoff at 5000 or 11000 Hz, but sloped curves. Your frequency curve will be a parabola.

All good,
TT

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom