Building my first MAC system

I have two MC1000s great amp. You can overdrive any speaker with MC1000 capable of 2K peaks and I have driven them there . The chorus handles 1K peaks. The 101 dB efficiency certainly would be loud but be careful blowing a driver is possible.

I have read of people blowing woofers with MC1000. Practice restraint.

Mc1000 is Quad balance a C39 or C100 is period correct but any newer balanced preamp with 110dB plus SNR would be great with your high sensitivity Klipsch.

An MC1000 will drive 2 8ohm speakers off 4 Ohm tap. Your Pre amp need a mono switch and one channel hooked up.

I drive McIntosh XR290s line arrays. Don’t know your speaker budget but MC1000 will drive any power hungry or tough to drive speaker. If you get a chance at any of the XRT Mcintosh line arrays they will handle the amps.

Last edited:
I don't see MC1000's coming up for sale terribly often. So, it will take time and commitment to find a person selling a single one.

No problem using it with your speakers as long as you don't get silly with the volume knob.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd go a different route. If I wanted to keep those speakers, I would ditch the MC1000 and go for a Mac tube amp (MC275).

In a smaller room I Liked Snell's A7 Phantom and I liked the older B&W 800's. The later ones after the Matrix were too bright for me. There ought to be some big Infinity's, Stacked Pairs of Mac ML-4's, or XRT 28 that will be a good match. XRT 30's if you have the floor space will work, too. I guess you could stack 7 pairs of AR-3'as. JBL 4435 and some of the older models with Double 15's. You could always mismatch and use the next lower impedance tap to back off some of the power. I'd sell it and look for a used 452 my self.

So will running the single block sound like crap on its own ?
A single channel amplifier is unable to produce left and right channels independently of another which would preclude stereo listening. But the MC1000 would be an awesome subwoofer amplifier.

So how does that work ? Pre-Amp to Single Mono block to 2 Speakers?
Just trying to set it up until I get the other block.

That would be AWESOME but how would I set that up ? I have a Pioneer SX-1280 and some Klipsch Chorus.
Would I run the MC1000 with the Pioneer ?

Oh that would be a hell of a sub amp. I would go the route of a class D amp for that use case...but to each their own.

For a passive subwoofer setup, with that amp, there will be added complexity that an external crossover can introduce. You need to be up to that challenge before jumping in...otherwise just stick with the typical sub with a built in plate amp.

For running mono parallel the speaker wires to the chorus use only 4 ohm taps. Uses mono switch on SX1280 and feed a single channel of the pioneer if it has a pre-out to the MC1000. At least you can test the amp.

I have seen two other MC1000s sold as singles. The use as a sub amp is a way to wait. Personally if you are not using two subs there is a difference in some music. Hope you got a deal on buying a single.

You can probably happen on another single cheaper than a MC452. Or call audio classics work a trade for a two channel or ask them to source a single.

I read a post of a guy who auditioned MC1201s in his house and preferred MC1000. But it is about the match to a speaker. The MC1000 will play at any level and is dead quiet if the preamp is. No eggs frying no matter what the level when a silent spot hits the music.

Back
Top Bottom