bulb question

jamie123

i need to buy a replacement bulb,the original is a grain of wheat type,6v 35ma.
im having trouble buying a same spec bulb,i can get 6v but a lot are 60ma rating,can someone explain what the difference would be and if it will be ok to use ?
thanks.

I would not use a 60mA in place of 35mA. The current is almost double. The heat will almost double. If mounted in / around plastic, might melt. The brightness will be too bright. It might be bad for what ever drives it, for example an unobtainum IC.

What is the bulb for?

hi its for a sony turntable,its the bulb that lights the 33rpm speed indicator,the closest ive found is either 6v 40ma or 16v 35ma

I expect it would be fairly dim since its at half it's intended working voltage. Won't make much heat though.

Can you add a resistor and convert to LED ?

I could but I wouldn’t have a clue what resistor I’d need etc, I’ll see how the new bulbs look first .

well my bulbs arrived in the week so today i soldered in a replacement,i now have 33rpm illuminated again,phew! whilst i was in there i cleaned and lubricated all the speed potentiometers.
IMG_2614.jpg

I actually sourced the right spec bulb, 6v35
Ma, when I put it in it was dimmer than the original so I used a 6v40ma which matched the brightness of the original, go figure!

Back
Top Bottom