bulb(stanley 8v 0.3a) needed

ALTEC9846-8A

I just got a sony str 6050 receiver and it has two bulbs that light the dial(one on each side). one is burnt out. The bulb is shaped like a cylindar and pops in like a old glass fuse. Can you still get these bulbs and where could I get one? The FM stereo light also seems to be burnt out but I think it would be very hard to replace. thanks:scratch2::scratch2:

I have the Stanley 8v/300ma fuse lamps in the double life version, those PE 8v/250ma lamps will work but the S&H to Canada on a small order will rack up quite a nice bill, Dave. :yes:

I have the Stanley 8v/300ma fuse lamps in the double life version, those PE 8v/250ma lamps will work but the S&H to Canada on a small order will rack up quite a nice bill, Dave. :yes:

NO KIDDING I went through ordering 2 bulbs(1.00) and the shipping cost was 33.00.So I cancelled my order. What is this ,ebay! If someone else can send me some in a envelope or something ,I could mail you the money . The shipping to canada is outrageous.I guess they have to xray them or check for radation or biological hazards before they get to canadian customs or something?:sigh::sigh:

NO KIDDING I went through ordering 2 bulbs(1.00) and the shipping cost was 33.00.So I cancelled my order. What is this ,ebay! If someone else can send me some in a envelope or something ,I could mail you the money . The shipping to canada is outrageous.I guess they have to xray them or check for radation or biological hazards before they get to canadian customs or something?:sigh::sigh:
I sent you an e-mail with some info about those lamps, Dave. :yes:

I have sent you $7.00 (1.50 X 2 + 4.00 shipping) to your paypal for the bulbs.Thanks keith:thmbsp:

I have sent you $7.00 (1.50 X 2 + 4.00 shipping) to your paypal for the bulbs.Thanks keith:thmbsp:
I did receive it, please keep the details private in the e-mail as exchanging goods in the forum goes against accepted standard rules, thanks, Dave.

8v 0.3a t3.25 wedge base bulb substitute

For those of you stumped: here is a common bulb that drops in just fine:

Generic bulb # 147: 7V .43A, 3W made by many:
147 USA
I/7V/3W/W2.1X9.5D/CL/T3.25/1500H
also known as
Cross-Reference:

1G820 GRAINGER
147/7V/0.43A/T3.25/WEDGE
147/7V/0.43A CEC
147/7V/0.43A LUMIACTION
147/7V/0.43A USA
147/7V/.43A/T3.25/WEDGE MICRO-LAMPS
147/7V/.43A/T3.25/WEDGE MICROLAMP
147/T3-1-4-7V-.43A-WEDGE LAMPTECH
147 ANSI
147 BULB-DIRECT
147 CEC
147 CHICAGO-MINIATURE
147 EIKO
147 GENERAL-ELECTRIC
147 INTERLIGHT
147 LAMPTECH
147 LUMIACTION
0147 MICRO-LAMPS
147 MICRO-LAMPS
147 SATCO
147 STANDARDPRO
0147 USA
147 USA
147 WESTINGHOUSE
10423 STANDARDPRO
25916 GENERAL-ELECTRIC
40278 EIKO
40278 UPC

Last edited:
Old thread alert. ;)

I would not recommend changing a 8V 300mA lamp for a #147. The current of the 147 is already damn near 1/2 an amp, and at 8V it will likely exceed that. Its rated lifespan of 1500hrs will probably drop to appreciably less than 1000 hours.

If you must substitute a current production wedge lamp, I'd recommend the #192. 13V, 330mA, 1000hrs. Draws about 230mA @ 8V, is a 'little' dimmer (a tad more yellow) than a full-fledged 8V 300mA lamp, and running this lamp on such a reduced voltage should mean a very long life. I've used them in lots of Pioneer and Kenwood gear to replace 8V lamps, and they look peachy.

Thanks for the lead! I tried VERY hard to find out how to consider substitutes for the 8V 0.3A lamp. How do you predict how a lamp will perform when subbed for another, anyway?

There was a guy on fmtunerinfo (http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/lamps.html) recommending a lamp, which I tried and it burned VERY dim. Completely unacceptable.

I will try yours out. I have the 147s installed and will run them a while to see their performance. And, I will swap the 192s in once I get them (I can't believe that NAPA wants $4.77 ea!) from MemoTronics.

Thank you, very much!
Pete

You should be able to get a twin pack of 192's at the auto parts store for about $4.00. Try Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, O'Reilly's etc.

LArry

If the 192 look is too warm for you, I have new wedge lamps with the same style filaments as the original that give nice white light. :thmbsp:

I had no idea this thread (old!) was so active!

I admit being a bit apprehensive about the 194 bulb; it specs out close to the Radio Shack product:

14V 270mA Incandescent Flashlight Bulb (2-Pack)
Model: 194
(Catalog #: 272-1126)

This is fairly close to the 13V 336mA 192 bulb you suggest.

MemoTronics will deliver 4 192 bulbs to me for under $5, and I don't have to go hunting...I will see if they deliver!

So, I am in need of education: if the circuit wants an 8V lamp and is capable of delivering 300mA and we sub in another Voltage bulb with another Amperage rating, how do you predict what the performance will be? I know this is a simple puzzle...

PuzzledPete

You can't really predict with any accuracy...you simply have to swap in a lamp and see how it looks and how much current it draws.

About 7 or 8 years ago (before I knew of dgwojo & his lamps), I had a supplier send me a sample of about 15 different lamps to see which would make a good replacement for the old 8V 250~300mA original lamps. Out of all the lamps sent, only the 192 was acceptable (the 194 was too weak at 8V, as were all the others I tried).

Hmmmm...trial and error, huh?

Okay. Reason I ask is I have another bulb, unmarked, which is burnt out and I would like to replace it. It's one of two in an old receiver, the other one still functions. Do I just measure its physical size and hope to find an assortment, then try them out one-by-one?

Would be good to know two things:

What does it look like? (clues for intended wattage/current here)
What is the supply voltage?

Physical descr: tubular type bulb with brass base, two wires
bulb diameter is 0.187" and the overall length, including the base is 0.650"
the base itself is 0.250" long, leaving about 0.4" of glass.

supply voltage = 5.4Vac

I have a Sharp Electronics p/n. I have the schematic for the amplifier, even. The supplier does not sell them anymore. I'm not sure they have a spec for the current.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom