Bulbs for C712

welcomdmat

Hello --

I have a C712 where a bulb has gone out. I did a quick search, but I don't see the answer popping up.

Does it matter what bulbs I use so long as they fit correctly?

Do I need to replace all of the bulbs in order to keep a consistent brightness?

I had the preamp professionally cleaned/ lubed/ tested a few months ago, but my tech is not confident on these questions (in the end, they are just aesthetic).

I am happy to replace all of the bulbs -- the ones I have found are not terribly expensive. My question is whether I have found the right ones and whether I should simply replace the ones that are out and keep using the ones that are on.

Thank you for any insight.

Call Audio Classics. They can provide you with a complete bulb kit. I ordered a spare set from them when I had a C712. Yes, I would install all fresh bulbs while I was in the unit, if I were you.

Aside from Audio Classics, you should also be able to order from McIntosh. I've not ordered from AC but they are pricey from Mc but at least you'll know they are correct. I had a C712 and ordered enough to replace all lamps but only replaced the ones burnt out. The pre is easy to open up and the bulbs very accessible and are super easy plug-ins to replace.
Bulbs in other Mc components can be difficult to access and soldered in, in which case I'd replace them all at once.

Aside from Audio Classics, you should also be able to order from McIntosh. I've not ordered from AC but they are pricey from Mc but at least you'll know they are correct. I had a C712 and ordered enough to replace all lamps but only replaced the ones burnt out. The pre is easy to open up and the bulbs very accessible and are super easy plug-ins to replace.
Bulbs in other Mc components can be difficult to access and soldered in, in which case I'd replace them all at once.

I stand by my suggestion to replace all the bulbs. There's a chance of uneven illumination mixing old and new bulbs.

I stand by my suggestion to replace all the bulbs. There's a chance of uneven illumination mixing old and new bulbs.

it's definitely a reasonable suggestion; that way you're certain all bulbs are fresh with even illumination. Because the bulbs in the C712 are so easy to access, I cheaped out and replaced only the burnt ones. Fortunately they were all evenly illuminated and both the new and old lasted years later to when I sold it.

Here's my C712 after replacing only 2 or 3 bulbs;

i-pnbvjjC-X2.jpg

Replacing all of the bulbs was my initial though, but I guess I don't want to be wasteful.

AC has treated me very well, so I will reach out to them.

Back
Top Bottom