Bulbs needed for Proton D1200 Amplifier

ken99

Dear Audiokarma Fans

Hopefully I am in the correct forum.

I need to replace the bulbs in my Proton D1200 amplifier. Does anyone know where I can get some? Apparently they can be replaced with LED bulbs which make the meters far more visible than the original bulbs?

Do they just pop out and in like a car bulb, or do I have to get them fixed at a shop that will have to do some soldering?

Does anyone know of a place or URL where I can get them?

Thanks

ken99

I am not where my Proton service lit is (and won't be for another week), but as I recall, these are ordinary grain-of-wheat bulbs. You are looking for something like this:

Grain of Wheat Bulb

This is just an example, I am not recommending that you should buy these, or buy from this vendor.

These bulbs come in 6, 8, 12, 14 and other voltages. Higher current means brighter light (and more heat) at a given voltage. You'll need to measure the voltage going to the bulbs and seeing what they run at to pick a voltage. Those green plastic bulb-holders tend to crack with heat and age, be aware of that. If you can live with a dimmer indicator, I like to use higher voltage bulbs, because they make less heat and last longer.

Good luck!

It uses fuse lamps? Wow, I don't remember that. I remember a number of the products used GOW lamps.

Guess this is the trouble with being far, far away from the library. Sorry, mate!

8 Bulbs needed for Proton D1200

The d1200 actually uses (8) 3/4" 7V fuse lamps for the meters.

Don made me up 8 led bulbs for it. They are excellent!

If anyone needs bulbs, contact Don: whsh93a

He is a member here and replied to this post.

later,
ken99

D1200 Bulbs

I see the 3/4" 7V fuse lamps, but they are white in color. I would like to have LED's made but how do I get in touch with Don? If not available anyone know what the factory replacement color is for the D1200? and where I can purchase them.

Thanks - Ed

I currently have 2 - Proton D1200s running Infinity Kappa 8's

Contacting Don

LED replacement bulbs can be purchased (in green or blue) by contacting:

Don Haywood
deh12110@yahoo.com

Bulbs are guaranteed for life and are made for the Proton D1200.

Don is very honest. I purchased from him on 2 occassions and had no trouble. You can trust him.

The original bulbs for the D-1200 are green. You will need 8 replacement bulbs for each amplifier. 4 per meter.

Good luck. Let us know how you get along.

ken99

Does anyone know the specs for the power button lamp?

I'm another satisfied customer of Don's fuse lamps as well!

Im pretty sure I saved emails with that data on it when I had mine built last winter. I will try to find it tonight and post it. I had my lights all replaced with led's. The originals are fuse lamps and an odd length.

Scott

Just got in contact with Don Haywood again.

He makes very high quality LED replacement fuse lamp bulbs for older audio equipment at very reasonable prices.

( In the Proton D1200 There are two fuse lamp assemblies - one for each channel. Most D-1200’s used two lamps per fuse assembly but some older versions - a pretty rare bridgeable model - used four lamps per channel). My two D1200's are the rare bridgeable model's, so I needed 8 bulbs per amplifier. Check which kind you have before purchasing from Don. He will let you know what you need. He is also able to supply the light for the power switch of the Proton D1200.

Don Haywood
deh12110@yahoo.com

Or contact him on ebay at whsh94a

He custom makes the fuse lamps, so he does not sell many on ebay.

I ordered 8 more LED bulbs for my new to me Proton D1200 (my second). Also have a power switch lamp coming to me!

later,
ken99

I know this is an old thread, but since I just got a D1200 after many years of searching, I decided to make a video of the VU Meter Bulb replacement process. My D1200 is the non-bridgeable unit with only 2 bulbs per meter, so depending on your amp, you may have up to 4 bulbs per VU meter assembly. Hopefully this helps someone. I used another person on eBay, but that was not to take away from Don Haywood listed above. His bulbs may be a closer match to the original ones, I'm not sure. You can check with him to find out. Either way, I'm not the best with instructional videos, but I hope this helps someone who needs to replace their bulbs. RCA's and power output testing coming in a future video!

Watch on YouTube in 1080P HD or embedded below:

Just got in contact with Don Haywood again.

He makes very high quality LED replacement fuse lamp bulbs for older audio equipment at very reasonable prices.

( In the Proton D1200 There are two fuse lamp assemblies - one for each channel. Most D-1200’s used two lamps per fuse assembly but some older versions - a pretty rare bridgeable model - used four lamps per channel). My two D1200's are the rare bridgeable model's, so I needed 8 bulbs per amplifier. Check which kind you have before purchasing from Don. He will let you know what you need. He is also able to supply the light for the power switch of the Proton D1200.

Don Haywood
deh12110@yahoo.com

Or contact him on ebay at whsh94a

He custom makes the fuse lamps, so he does not sell many on ebay.

I ordered 8 more LED bulbs for my new to me Proton D1200 (my second). Also have a power switch lamp coming to me!

later,
ken99
I'm 99% certain Don made mine 3 years ago. His work is top-notch

Thanks for posting this:thumbsup:.as I've got 2 burnt out bulbs on my 1200 that I've been putting off replacing. I think it's time to stop putting it off now.

Here's mine with the LED replacement lights....
20170424_190521-_COLLAGE.jpg

Back
Top Bottom