Bulldozing my house.

Monday we went from the conceptual layout stage where we defined all the room sizes and layouts to the actual design phase which will be submitted to the city.

Music room ended up 13'x18'. Maybe not a perfectly ideal dimension, but I think I can get pretty happy in there. I can still define the doorways, windows, ceiling height, acoustic treatment, etc. but pretty locked into the size. Please keep the suggestions coming. Thanks in advance.

Check out the attached pic. We've got about 70ft of this Nana wall system all tied together which is what you walk in front of to get from room to room. The music room has a door on it but you come out into the "hallway" and that's what you see (a little taller than the pic). The great room and kitchen don't have doors per say.

Attachments

• nana.jpg
    nana.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 87
Might as well build a sub woofer enclosure or one on each side of the foundation. (why not), couldn't really cost that much.

Might as well build a sub woofer enclosure or one on each side of the foundation. (why not), couldn't really cost that much.

What do you mean by each side, front & back? I've never had a sub-woofer in my life.

I just men't on the left, and right side of the room. I always have a difficult time integrating subwoofers. The only success I have ever had has been using two of them. I might just have them crossed too high. I don't have any real nice equipment dedicated to there use, so that may also lead to my troubles towards integrating them within my system. I think two subs sound different than one, but I might be barking up my own tree.

I like your project, and it looks like a lot of fun is in your future. I bet your going to have a great listening room.

On a side not: I have a weird shaped house, with a one way slanted roof. In one of my listening rooms, I have all windows, that open vertically. In the summer time, when I have all the windows open behind my head. Thats when I get my best sound out of my system. I'm not sure why this happens, but the effect is very noticeable.

Last edited:
Sounds like a neat project, Meggy!
Hope all turns out well for you & your wife.

Rome

That nana wall system is a great feature. Easy to open up under the right conditions. BTW I would love to see the place pre-demo.

I just took a measuring tape to check the size of the Main room/Listening room of my Cabin and its 13' x 19'
But the ceiling is not flat and Steeply slanted from
8' tall to 14' tall which makes the room feel larger,
Quite adequate size for listening I think !

Sounds like a fun project,Hope the permitting process
goes well and not too spendy.

Our old neighbor of more than 40 years moved out a couple of years ago. New buyers had 'alternative' tastes, so this was the view from my garden for a while.
The noise was intollerable!

Attachments

• dozer.jpg
    dozer.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 56
Monday we went from the conceptual layout stage where we defined all the room sizes and layouts to the actual design phase which will be submitted to the city.

Music room ended up 13'x18'. Maybe not a perfectly ideal dimension, but I think I can get pretty happy in there. I can still define the doorways, windows, ceiling height, acoustic treatment, etc. but pretty locked into the size. Please keep the suggestions coming. Thanks in advance.

Check out the attached pic. We've got about 70ft of this Nana wall system all tied together which is what you walk in front of to get from room to room. The music room has a door on it but you come out into the "hallway" and that's what you see (a little taller than the pic). The great room and kitchen don't have doors per say.

+1 on the Nana wall.
We have one, its great in the summer when it gets really hot, we can open up a large section of our front east facing wall and enjoy some great views and sunsets while staying cool. I can take some photos if you'd like.

Sounds like a neat project, Meggy!
Hope all turns out well for you & your wife.

Rome

Thanks. I'm sure it well. We're getting a lot of bang-for-the-buck with the economy the way it is.

That nana wall system is a great feature. Easy to open up under the right conditions. BTW I would love to see the place pre-demo.

Anytime dok. I'm about 10 min from where we met at my office.

The chick with the red dress holding the cocktail, she comes with the wall, correct ? Some type of folding wall operator.

She does. She gets a room too.

I just took a measuring tape to check the size of the Main room/Listening room of my Cabin and its 13' x 19'
But the ceiling is not flat and Steeply slanted from
8' tall to 14' tall which makes the room feel larger,
Quite adequate size for listening I think !

Sounds like a fun project,Hope the permitting process
goes well and not too spendy.

Thanks. Not much going on (building-wise) in phx right now and so far we don't need any variances, so we're hoping. And that's what the ceilings are. Slanted up to 14'.

Our old neighbor of more than 40 years moved out a couple of years ago. New buyers had 'alternative' tastes, so this was the view from my garden for a while.
The noise was intollerable!

Won't take much, I think.

+1 on the Nana wall.
We have one, its great in the summer when it gets really hot, we can open up a large section of our front east facing wall and enjoy some great views and sunsets while staying cool. I can take some photos if you'd like.

Absolutely! PM or post 'em up. Thanks. I know this thread will get kind of boring fast, but we're pretty excited.

Just don't hold back on things you think you would like to have while the house is being built. Lots cheaper to do it now than to go back and retro-fit things after the house is built.

Sounds like it will be a wonderful home once its completed. Congrats!:thmbsp:

I'm not familiar with Nana but I am with

Marvin:

bifolddoorhalf540.jpg

Signature:

2003_E2_016.jpg

http://signaturedoor.com/Bifold.html

IWP:
http://www.jeld-wen.com/_pdf/10-529_IWP_FoldingDoor.pdf

I'd stay away from anything that is all aluminum. Look for wood or wood with aluminum cladding.

While the insulation is a good idea there is a methodology of wall building for soundproofing you should explore. The thing is to decouple the wall from the adjacent space.

Meggy,

Hire them goobers from HGTV they can have your new house done in a week or two. I mean they completely remodel 3-4 rooms of a house in a long weekend. I'm sure building one couldn't take them more then a couple weeks.

My wife couldn't figure out how it could take me 14 months to remodel a tiny bathroom she watches to much HGTV

Very hard to Zombie proof.
Never count out the possability of a Zombie infestation.

I wuv the Zombies.

While the insulation is a good idea there is a methodology of wall building for soundproofing you should explore. The thing is to decouple the wall from the adjacent space.

Good point. I'm learning all about diffusors, absorbers and isolation, reflection, 703 and 705 fiberglass, etc. Two of the walls are outside walls, one is other side of guest bed #1, and one wall is the hallway with the entry to the listening room.

Is fiberglass an OK thing to be "exposed" to all the time? I mean there could be 6-8-10 panels of it in one room.

Meggy,

Hire them goobers from HGTV they can have your new house done in a week or two. I mean they completely remodel 3-4 rooms of a house in a long weekend. I'm sure building one couldn't take them more then a couple weeks.

My wife couldn't figure out how it could take me 14 months to remodel a tiny bathroom she watches to much HGTV

I thought of that! They bring in a crew of #200 and go nuts. I think you have to be more worthy of the service than just being a music lover. We're looking at a year from the time we put a shovel in the ground (which could be in as little as six weeks).

Just call in John Holmes and he'll rip out everything and do it right.

I always wondered who pays the reno bills on these shows. Does the sponsor or homeowner? I've seen some where as they progress the owners talk about the cost over runs and seem to be as concerned about it as if were just an additional package of gum they were buying.

I thought fiberglas was on the preferred not to use list nowadays.

As a real estate appraiser I might want to caution you on doing anything TOO far outside of what is called "average" in your "neighborhood". I don't know your market so I am only talking "over the fence". As far as I'm concerned if you own land you ought to be able to build anything you damn well please on it. Lord know I do what I want with MY property.

But there can be a problem with resale value, or trying to recapture your investment at sale time or trying to borrow money on something that won't appraise out because it's a "unique" property.

I'm sure you'll do what's right for yourself.
Best,
Brian

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom