Bummed out with a delivery from Parts Express

Discussion in 'Packing & Shipping' started by Justgotohm, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Justgotohm

Justgotohm AK Subscriber Subscriber

Let me start out with saying I have always had nothing but good experiences with PE. I would say for an average enthusiast I have done a fair amount of business with PE receiving something pretty much every two weeks. I ordered a pair of .56 knock down cabinets and a pair of .23 knock down cabinets. All of the kits had damaged in some way, some slight, some substantial. I had ordered a .67 sub cab flat pack which arrived without issue. The diffrence being the sub flat pack was wrapped to the ends with card board, the others had exposed ends. As I said I'm not trying to beat up on PE I was just surprised at the condition of the box when I received it. The only padding inside was large bubble wrap.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    The little sub flat pack
    image.jpeg

2. Tim64

Tim64 Well-Known Member

Shoddy pack job for sure, either insurance or Parts Express needs to send you new cabinet kits. AK is watching this thread PE so do the right thing.

slimecity likes this.
  3. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

Too much weight for too flimsy packing. It is only weight that will crush a box that way. Nothing was done to protect the contents.Their packing department should see this to understand how weight changes everything when you are shipping heavyweight items. If they are smart they won't even ship back the damaged stuff and just send you new stuff.

4. Justgotohm

I sent PE an informative email regarding this issue and suggested they reveiw their packaging for flat packs. The only other issue I have ever had with PE was a warped 8 inch buyout woofer that just had some cardboard wrapped around it. I bent it back in shape with some vise grips. As far as personal experience the worst packing I have seen audio related was from Electro Mavin. Just like above the woofers arrived very warped, I still have them in a box somewhere. I did not ask for a refund or replacements in my email to PE. I wrote what the issue was and sent pictures along with a description of how the sub flat pack was packaged as an example of better packaging. I like to see how a business responds without suggestions from the customer. The flat packs are salvageable but it adds time and that's why I buy them, to save time. Injecting glue in all the corners, clamping them, dry time, then sanding flat and square is a PITA. Instead of cutting panels you can put these together in literally minutes. The real issue for me is the 2hrs it takes to go get the material to cut in the first place. I'll post a follow up after the long weekend.

RedSquare likes this.
  5. Celt

Celt Super Maude Super Mod Subscriber

I think I would be demanding a replacement and for them to foot the return shipping bill too! Totally inexcusable, sloppy ass packing!

6. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

I'd expect the company to offer up a replacement at no charge even without demanding it. Its a sure way to get a repeat customer, or at least it would be from me. I just accept that sometimes things are screwed up, its how they deal with it that matters.

7. Justgotohm

They reached out, wanted to better understand the damage so I'll take 360* pics with a reply.

8. Justgotohm

I received an email from PE explaining UPS would come out, pick up the damaged cabinets and to expect properly packed replacements. I'm in NC dealing with family issues and did bring the cabs with me so I could get some work done away from home. I explained to PE that I am satisfied with the response from customer service and it's less of a hassle for me to deal with the damage than repack and wait on replacements. All in all PE handled it as expected and did mention in the email that they will reveiw and train the packing department. This is good enough for me and hope my experience will be a positive influence on PE's packing policies.

9. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

That's amateur packing. Very surprising from a professional outfit.

slimecity likes this.
  10. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well there is always a new guy or someone who hasn't learned about the weight and force issues. It takes constant vigilance so the knowledge is passed on.

moody_constant vigilance.jpg

:biggrin:

Not surprised at the great customer service response. The few small issues I've ever had were dealt with 110%.

11. Justgotohm

I received an email containing an invoice and tracking for replacement flat packs that arrived with damage. I am thrilled with PE's decision to ship me a completely new order. I was honestly satisfied with their responce and again the fact that PE will implement new packing procedures. Bravo PE for going well above beyond. Of course now I'll be trolling PE's website for new drivers and crossover components to put in my new cabinets. I strictly go to PE first for one main reason. The website is so well laid out and informative: you don't have to know anything going in, all the info is right there from specs to reveiws. I find the question and answer portion the most helpful, 7 out of ten times the question in my head is answered already. If the three competing companies had a user friendly website they may be (competitive). The tech guys are a huge help too, especially as a noob, Ive thought about some of the question I've asked early on, in retrospect it is comical, I would love to see a best of questions by PE's Tech staff, probably very funny.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  12. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

What a train wreck that would be, kinda like some of the Best of Craigslist entries. :biggrin:

13. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

Good for them. They made good on their service error.

14. Justgotohm

I am thrilled with their customer service, I made another order today. I only needed a couple tweeters and speaker ports but ran the order up to $102 from $82 for the free shipping. If I place an order of $70 or less I'll pay the $6.95 in shipping, anything over $70 and I'll pick up whatever I think I'll may use in the future to $100 or more for the free shipping.