Burned my Yamaha CA-2010 (CA-2000)...

greenflash

I read in a Kenwood thread "Fortunately, there are no self-destruct buttons on the outside of most gear", and I thought immediately of what just happened to me.

It all begins with a Quad Pioneer preamp. It was acting up with my SA-9100 so I decided to try with another power amp, and I picked my Yamaha CA-2000. Moved the coupler switch down as per the manual below, connected the preamp and it worked sorta fine for a while and then started doing some blips and noises.. So I decided to (turn off everything) and try the DC switch.

Heck, the yamaha stopped after a couple of seconds and smoke went up.

I do think now that the difficult english in the paragraph "The mode switch determines" means that somehow the DC switch in the position below (DC) somehow cancels the protection circuit? And thus somehow with the pre acting up I did send a signal that triggered the problem? No idea indeed but that seems to be the case.

So, well, now this will go to the tech. Hope it's *just* the power source inside the yammy.. <sad>

HmdjsOP.png

The "Mode" switch switches in (Normal) a blocking capacitor that prevents the amplifier from trying to reproduce subsonic, down to DC according to Yamaha, frequencies. If the preamp you were trying to drive it with had DC on the output, or a strong low frequency oscillation, switching out that cap (DC position) could cause damage.
When a preamp is having troubles, hooking it to a different amplifier usually won't fix it.

I do think now that the difficult english in the paragraph "The mode switch determines" means that somehow the DC switch in the position below (DC) somehow cancels the protection circuit? And thus somehow with the pre acting up I did send a signal that triggered the problem? No idea indeed but that seems to be the case.
I don't think the manual says the protection circuit is cancelled in DC mode. It says if there is DC in the output of the preamp, the protection circuit will trigger if you are in DC. Sometimes "protection" doesn't work as it should, though. Hope you get it sorted it out.

Thank you @tarior and @audiotemp - yeah there's a problem with the quad preamp indeed. Tested it in the audio shop and it was ok but I guess it's a matter of time, when I left it on for a while there issues started to come up (fortunately the seller is a GREAT guy no problem to return it). My test with the Yammy was because I thought there could be some problem with the sa9100's function as a power amp (later they told me that would be a strange).
Yeah let's hope it works out! I'll stop playing with those switches in the back though :D

Back
Top Bottom