Burson V5i Op Amp Review

HypnoToad

Ms Puss Puss
Subscriber
Burson (No Affiliation) sent me a pair of V5i's to try out in the AD797 phono stage.

The AD797 started out as a cheap easy to build phono stage and has evolved into something that provides great performance for little cost. It centered around the AD797 op amp which is very very low noise and well suited for use with low output moving coil cartridges. The second stage uses the LME 49990 op amp after trying pretty much every other op amp out there it worked best with wide open sound stage and extracted the most detail from the grooves.

The only problem is that the LME 49990 is no longer in production, and all other op amps are a step down IMO so what to do?

Well there's a new kid on the block the Burson V5i, if I have this right it's an IC with some discreet components thrown in and comes in a little silver case, it's plug and play, no tricky soldering onto adapters like with the surface mount 49990's or AD797 BRZ's.

I flipped the lid on one of my phono stages and replaced the 49990's with the V5i's, put on Helpless by Neil Young off the Deja Vu album, immediately I noticed Neils voice was smooth as silk, then I tried Money for Nothing by Dire Straights and Mark Knoffler's guitar rifts were haunting.

Enough of this swapping out albums, now for some serious listening, I put on Journey to the Center of the Earth by Rick Wakeman. This has as much detail as you can get, and it all came through as intended, wide open sound stage with pin point precision, the way he gets some of those notes to go back and forth was mesmerizing. My wife even asked what's that, it was like hearing it for the first time.

Have I found a replacement for the LME 49990?

Let me put it this way I hope Burson don't want the V5i's back again as I've screwed the lid on the phono stage nice and tight!

BOA1.jpg

BOA4.jpg

I'm using the original Bursons V 4? because i gave my 49990 to my son

Might want to check the things every now and then - this is what one of my V5's looked like after a couple months ...

burson-corrosion-(1).jpg

Fortunately, I used an extender when installing them, so the circuit board is ok ... the extender didn't fare as well.

burson-corrosion-(4).jpg

Went back to my browndog OPA627s ...

Back
Top Bottom