Business owners - Is anybody running a shopping cart? Considering adding one to mine.

meggy

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm considering paying for the development of a shopping cart (site) to add to my business but guessing that in general they have a high failure rate. I was wondering if anyone had any hands on experience with running a successful one?

I'm not expecting any advice on how to do it for my particular business, but just wondering in general.

There are a lot of canned shopping carts that can be added to existing sites. They have various features and limitations and costs. A true custom shopping cart can get pretty expensive. Reliability will vary quite a bit from one source to another on a custom one. The plus for having one written just for you is you can make it just the way you want it but future upgrades and small changes can get pretty expensive depending on who you have do it.

I work with a complete custom one but it is like pulling teeth to get anything done on it and each change is quite expensive. But our needs were pretty specific for some of the features and none of the ready to go carts handled them properly.

I overlook/developed a few ecomm sites running open source Magneto. Sales are great and products always in top search results.
You will need a competent developer they are complex applications.

Thanks Inv & Eiz. On existing carts, I see "DIY" ones on GoDaddy. Even though I've put up plenty of my own www sites over the years I was thinking more of using a developer for this, just so I wouldn't miss sales and lose credibility because of initial startup problems.

The main thing I wonder about is what percentage of all Shop Carts fail and the primary cause(s). Is it statistically even worth going down this road. So I was hoping someone on AK may actually have a successful one running and could clue me in.

What do you define a failure as? We've spent well over 10 thousands on ours and it has had down time occasionally but it is also over 15 years old and in computer years that is an antique.

Have you talked to a developer? Would they be writing code from scratch or just setting up an open source free type cart for you. If you have them create it from scratch it will be all up to their abilities for how reliable it is (and how secure your customer information is).

Back around 1997, I helped a then-new client get online. At first I simply posted scans on the site, with cart buttons that pointed to a third party cart/checkout service. That worked well, and I developed two other catalog systems over the years that added a lot more features for her to display product, still using the third party cart service. (You checked out on their site, not ours.) But finally as of a couple of years ago, the cart service was bought out and they changed their business focus and data exchange interface, which left us out in the cold. With the way the web has changed over the past 20 years (especially mobile usage), and the sharp increase in security/privacy issues, I felt it was better that she move to some sort of full-blown ecommerce system.

We went with Magento. Actually I shouldn't say "we" since I stayed out of it, other than managing the server. Magento has been a total fricking nightmare. The developers did things half-assed, not quite adding the features she wanted, and left gaping security holes that they should very well have known about. Rather than have me address them, they sort of strong-armed my client into going with a third party security firm, and now visits and sales are way down. The SEO I did to help keep the site at the top of the Google rankings for her product lines all got blown out when she moved to Magento. The system itself is known to be problematic and is hacked frequently.

Thing is, I can't think of much of anything else out there. If I were only selling a few products (like a dozen items), I would probably work with PayPal's cart/checkout buttons. Larger, I would look into installing WordPress and finding one of the better catalog/cart plugins. Keep in mind that as a merchant, you are responsible for keeping your customers' data secure and private. For me, that is a deal killer. If someone's data is hacked, the business owner had better have a boatload of insurance or rainy day fund to cover any damages.

That is why I feel it is better to go with a third party that hosts their own cart and catalog system, which you may pay a small fee to use. Someone else hosts it and maintains it, including the security. The information is stored on their server, not yours. It might cost a little more than hosting it yourself, but that peace of mind gives you more free time to work on promoting the business or doing product development.

The company we used to use is still around (AmeriCart) and they allow you to upload your own products, process payment, etc. all through their servers. There are others out there as well. That's my own choice. YMMV of course.

Good info, thanks Wildcat. Especially pointing out the liability concerns.

Inv, I guess I define failure as the site not producing enough profit to pay for itself within 6 months or less.

The client I mentioned above owned a storefront for several years before going online. As she was sort of branching out at the time, she carried a product line that had no online sellers when we first posted the products online. A couple of years later, she had enough business from online sales that she was finally able to take a salary for herself. The big drawback is being at the mercy of Google (and to a lesser extent, the other search engines). If your primary business or product search does not appear in the top couple of search results on Google ("above the fold" in newspaper terminology), you will have to pay to advertise and get your name above the fold, and that can be expensive. She has seen a direct relationship between where her search results land on Google vs. the number of orders she receives. It got to where she closed her retail store when a new landlord tried to triple the rent on all the tenants in their strip of buildings, and she moved to a nearby industrial park that was more suited for warehousing and shipping.

Going online with a catalog and cart is great for an ongoing business that is already profitable. But, I personally would never start one cold, from nothing. I would consider it bonus income for an existing business though, and an opportunity to grow. It is not going to happen automatically. At the very least, word of mouth through existing customers would help get things moving, followed by smart advertising, then getting rankings boosted with the search engines and even buying advertising there so you get noticed.

It is more work than it seems, on the surface. But it can pay off well if done right. Don't sweat the cart issue--have a third party company handle all that. If business took off tremendously, you could always change services, or look into having an existing cart system installed on a site you control.

I am a Designer/Developer (Internet Marketing as well) and have owned a web design business for 17 years. I have done hundreds of ecommerce websites of various sizes (mostly small businesses).

What is your particular business? Full time business? Volume of monthly online sales? Goals?

For most small businesses I do not recommend the "full-blown ecommerce system", such as Magento. The complexity, cost and time involved isn't practical for a small business owner.

Last edited:
It is more work than it seems, on the surface. But it can pay off well if done right. Don't sweat the cart issue--have a third party company handle all that. If business took off tremendously, you could always change services, or look into having an existing cart system installed on a site you control.

I usually do a native shopping cart with third party payment processing. A bit more investment up front but it pays for itself quickly and you have way more control. Would cost a lot more to add -on / re-do later as well so saves money long term.

What is your particular business? Full time business? Volume of monthly online sales? Goals?

Yes, it's a full time business. I can't really post my website as per the AK non-self promoting rules but the business is Touchscreen computer systems for restaurants. Industry standard hardware and our software. We get pretty good discounts as a hardware reseller which we could use to undercut the prices of the top retail resellers of the peripherals (touchscreens, printers, credit card readers, etc.). It wouldn't really be for the existing clients, they just call and order.

Our main distributor has said if our shop cart software could get the order sent to them, they'd handle the shipping, etc. All we'd have to do is provide the sale.

I usually do a native shopping cart with third party payment processing. A bit more investment up front but it pays for itself quickly and you have way more control. Would cost a lot more to add -on / re-do later as well so saves money long term.
Agreed! Wish we'd known about you two years ago before this whole Magento fiasco started. ;) But, the money's already spent, and things are getting into a "new normal" now. She kind of jumped into picking Magento without really letting me know until it was already in the works. (I was busy with another full-time job at the time.)
Our main distributor has said if our shop cart software could get the order sent to them, they'd handle the shipping, etc. All we'd have to do is provide the sale.
Sweet arrangement there!

Yes, it's a full time business. I can't really post my website as per the AK non-self promoting rules but the business is Touchscreen computer systems for restaurants. Industry standard hardware and our software. We get pretty good discounts as a hardware reseller which we could use to undercut the prices of the top retail resellers of the peripherals (touchscreens, printers, credit card readers, etc.). It wouldn't really be for the existing clients, they just call and order.

Another option is to start out with Shopify (or similar) and see how it goes first for a while, then you can make a more informed decision on what to do with little investment since Shopify is plug n play and pay as you go.

Back
Top Bottom