Busted Blue

yenrec

Hi,
And thanks for all the info.
I replaced the cartridge on my 1200mkII with an Ortofon blue in February, Love it!
I have an Autistic kid who likes "music".
Although we have tried to set him up with turntables (he likes to watch the record spin), he keeps destroying them. I can't find one built even as good as the BSR all in ones that I grew up with and have been searching Craigs list for something that he won't rip the tone arm off of.
The other day I went to use my turntable and when I set the tone arm down I didn't hear music, I heard noise!
I took the headshell off and found that the stylus was bent close to 90 degrees. this made me sad.
I have ordered a new stylus for my blue (expensive!!) but my question is, can I salvage the original?

Sad to here but I do not think you will be able to straighten a 90 degree bend. Of course you could try. If it breaks you will not be out any more than you already are.

Sad to here but I do not think you will be able to straighten a 90 degree bend. Of course you could try. If it breaks you will not be out any more than you already are.
I did straighten it out but when I used it I thought that I was hearing high end distortion, then I started thinking about alignment and if I would be wrecking my albums with this great cartridge that I love so much. Do you think that Ortofon could bring it to spec?

Well you could contact them and see if they could help you out. I think you are looking at a stylus replacement. Maybe Ortofon can replace the cantilever and check the rest out? They are said to have very good customer service.
Best of luck.

Well you could contact them and see if they could help you out. I think you are looking at a stylus replacement. Maybe Ortofon can replace the cantilever and check the rest out? They are said to have very good customer service.
Best of luck.
Thanks, I'll give them a call. It may be worth it, just to have a spare if they can fix it. It's a pretty expensive component!

Back
Top Bottom