Butcher Block Buy for Flexi Rack

Discussion in 'Listening Spaces' started by Old Guy8, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Old Guy8

Old Guy8 AK Subscriber Subscriber

IMG_20180118_172633.jpg IMG_20180118_164221.jpg
    So I've thought about making a Flexi Rack. Hope I'm getting name right. The biggest obstacle for me is my lack of precision woodworking equipment. Like a good table saw, Drum sander, router table etc.

So Menard's homecenter has a sale on 25" x 48" x 1-1/2" birch butcher block table tops with 1/8" radiused edges. Price of approx $50 after $20 mailin rebate. Without debating merits of various shelf materials. I think this is the material I'm going to use. Block in pic still has cardboard around edges. I don't want to damage it before starting project.
    (Not related to or major stockholder in Menards.)

With only precision work I'll have to do is drill perpendicular holes for 5/8" or 3/4" threaded rods. Rest should be just sanding, stain and sealer, if go that route. Stainless or gun blackened hardware? Maybe rods at corners and one in middle at back? What are your thoughts?
    I'll search Flexi racks for parts list and ideas.

Initially bought one block to replace original top on a Climax sewing machine table. For a Turntable stand. Then Flexi flashed in challenged brain.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  2. ETLS

ETLS metacarpophalangealcranium Subscriber

No advantage to using thicker stock all-thread. I "cheaped out" and used half inch. Also used was half inch thick plywood. For overkill, I did use 1.5" fender washers and had no failures on any shelf.

Old Guy8 likes this.
  3. Old Guy8

ETLS,
    Do any fender washers have attached rubber washer? I remember running into washers with attached rubber.

4. manu et deo

manu et deo I'm loving it! Subscriber

Nice idea, can't wait to see it

Old Guy8 likes this.
  5. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Go get 'em, Old Guy8! Should turn out beautiful. I used 3/4 on my shelf, and it was absurd. 1/2 is plenty. Good luck!

Old Guy8 likes this.
  6. Old Guy8

[I OTE="manu et deo, post: 11226640, member: 137303"]Nice idea, can't wait to see it[/QUOTE]

I'm just going to buy the shelf material now, while price is low. Have basement to finish first.

gmc likes this.
  7. Dingman

Dingman Do you know where your towel is? Subscriber

Sure, that will be nice when done.
    I can't say as I've seen rubber coated washers, but there alternatives.
    I did use rubber washers between the normal steel washers and the wood above, that's an easy way out.
    Personally, I don't like the exposed thread and covered mine with copper tubing left over from a plumbing project. I didn't have enough tho, and had to buy more tubing and copper isn't exactly cheap. But doable and looks nice.

Attached Files:

IPADave and Old Guy8 like this.
  8. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

How IS that basement coming along? I remember that thread, was terribly sad to read.

9. Old Guy8

Dingman,
    That looks very nice. Plywood is a great material and pops with stain. Hopeing that butcher block will also.
    I may look for thread-on hard rubber casters. I like to be able to move rack. Will be on vinyl planks over concrete.

Dingman likes this.
  10. Old Guy8

Onward,
    It is now getting done. I'll start a thread on it in Members section soon. Plasterer starts tomorrow , over cement board first five inches, then drywall up to 24" that was removed.
    I replaced backwater valve with gasketed one. Added a sump pit and pump next to floor drain for added safety. Bathroom has cement board, tile and I have contigency plan to channel to that sump if valve leaks and floor drain plugs. Not going through same disaster if can avoid. Insurance was big help.

Thanks for asking. It's going to look nice with 14' x 23 audio room. Vinyl planks replacing carpet. They are washable. Double barndoor to next room.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  11. motorstereo

motorstereo the wonder of it all Subscriber

I used hose washers underneath my fender washers. You can get a package of I think 25 in the plumbing dept of HD. They squash out nicely but the problem is they get hung up on the threads if you need to adjust the shelves.

12. ETLS

ETLS metacarpophalangealcranium Subscriber

Get a roll of Frost King rubber pipe wrap insulation. It's eighth of an inch thick, soft rubber foam in a two inch wide roll. Self adhesive side to adhere to your washers, and it's cheaper than rubber washers.

91imPRUSioL._SL1500_.jpg

Old Guy8 likes this.
  13. Bob in WI

Bob in WI AK Subscriber Subscriber

"(Not related to or major stockholder in Menards.)"

HA! And I thought for sure you were Paul Menard..... :)
    Thats a really good price for the butcher block. Should be a fun project.
    I have some tools but not a drill press so afraid I can't help much....

14. Old Guy8

IMG_20180118_201403.jpg
    Appears to be 1/8" radius edge on 1-1/2" edge, but long edges are less consistant smaller radius. All surfaces are smooth sanded.

Maybe a cherry tone stain.
    Wonder what type of finish would resist marks from rubber feet of gear best.

15. Bob in WI

Bob in WI AK Subscriber Subscriber

I would think poly would be indestructible... or you could put cork pads on the feet bottoms.

Old Guy8 likes this.
  16. Old Guy8

Bob,
    Its the price and perfect size of the boards that started this project. Thought maybe another AKer might be also interested in building one from them. A $165 in wood including 8.25% taxes. Stain, finish and black oxided or blued hardware, feet or casters. MAY look better than $500 Salamander. Or, maybe not. They call thier shelves "wood".
    The 1-1/2" shelves should support 100# each, IMO.
    I'll be a couple months getting to this project.

Bob in WI likes this.
  17. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

I used hockey pucks and threaded rods. Just drill a hole through the middle of the puck. Pictured is a leveling jack but you can use them as posts, use a jam nut and washer to support the puck. Pucks available in bulk.

stereojack.jpg

Old Guy8 likes this.
  18. Old Guy8

Unfortunately, not related to Bert or Jane Blain of Farm and Fleet either.

Bob in WI likes this.
  19. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

Another application, feet

stereojack1.jpg

Old Guy8 likes this.
  20. Old Guy8

Grillebilly,
    Have to admit, hockey pucks for feet could work. Counterbore bottom for jam nut and nut on top.
    I've used the 1/4" thick adhesive back felt available in 4" x 6" sheets. Put on bottom of furniture for sliding on wood floors without marking. That on puck bottom could work.

grillebilly likes this.